Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Food allergy - pumpkin or egg yolk

TingTing is offline Registered User

Food allergy - pumpkin or egg yolk

Hi Hi,

My baby is eight month old. I feed him egg yolk for two days and no allergy was found. Then I started pumpkin with congee, after few hours, his back is full of rash. I guess it was the pumpkin but some books mentioned that allegry will show up after few days.

Did anybody want to share the experience?

Actually, I have stopped to feed egg yolk and pumpkin until the rash was gone. Today is the third day, the rash seems lighter. I would try again later.

Cheers,
    TingTing

Yan
    Yan is offline Registered User

Dear Tingting,
    I don't have solution for you , cause my baby and me still working on the rash problem now.
    Since 4 1/2 months, I feed my baby rice cereal and mixed with some veggie or fruit at around 5 months. At the first few weeks, it is really ok, she like it, and no allergy show. But after that, her face seems getting rough. Then I stopped the rice cereal, instead, I gave her congee. Congee with carrot, pumpkin, potato, pea, apple, banana, pear, cumumber,...well, her rash seems on and off. Once, I feed her blueberry, she definitly has allergy, which the skin getting lot of rash and itchy.
    I try so many different cream, lotion already, now she is on the "Mopiko" baby cream, still on and off, ( I don't want steriod.)
    I feel upset when I see her keep scratch herself due to the itchy, and I can't do anything to help her.
    Sometime, I am think it is becasue her immune is getting low since I stopped breastfeed her on 4 months old, not because of the food.
    This weekend, I will bring to visit doctor, hope things getting better after that.

joannek is offline Registered User

if i introduce new food to my baby, i usually fed her the same food 5 days or 1 week in a row, and see whether any reaction starts. i've never mixed new foods together, cos if you do that, when a rash appear you wouldn't know what triggered it cos so many different food is introduced at the same time.

i'd suggest you wait for the rash to subside, then try egg yolk once on a day, then feed baby whatever you know is not allergic for another 3 days. if nothing happens, try again yolk for 2 days (once a day), then give baby sth not allergic for another 3 days. if nothing happens again, i don't think baby's allergic to yolk. then start trying pumpkin using the same method. you should know whether it's the food, sth baby touched or sth else (like new soap, lotion, clothing, detergent, etc.)

yan, the experts suggest you start introducing solid food at 6mths. and then, try to only introduce new food one at a time. you mentioned so many foods already that you're mixing in your congee. it took my baby 2 mths to try all those. i introduced one new food for one week, if no reaction, i introduced another new food for another3 days. then i added the 2 together for another 3 days.

that's how i started my baby on solid food when she reached 6 mths. i hope this helps.

TingTing is offline Registered User

Thanks for the sharing.

Yan, I have tried the cream named Camoderm. You can buy from Mannings with pharmacy counter. It don't have steriod but works for rash. I put it on when my baby has diaper rash and fash rash.

Joannek, when you introduce fish to your baby? As I still haven't feed any fish or meat to my baby, some of my friend said he may not have enough calcium so he don't have teeth yet. I am just worry about that.

joannek is offline Registered User

i think i started adding minced pork after 1 year old.

all babies break their teeth at a different age. mine had her first at 9mths. i think anywhere from 4-10mths are normal. (?) if your baby is drinking formula, then he/she should have enough calcium. if drinking bm & then u can consider taking calcium/magnesium supplements.