Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weaning from Breastfeeding

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Usfret,

Once solids have started, your milk will still be the *primary* source of calories, fats, vitamins, minerals, and hydration for your baby. Solids are meant to *complement* his breast milk intake in the first year. Breastfeeding first before offering solids will help to ensure that your milk supply continues to be adequate and that baby gets the milk that he needs for optimum development as he learns to eat other foods. You can confidently follow your baby's cues as to "when" and "how much" nutritious solid food he would like to eat in a day, and your body will regulate its production of milk dependent upon baby's new demands (again, so long as you nurse first, offer solids second).

Some babies, usually older than six months, refuse solids in "mushy" form. They prefer to hold off eating solids until they can finger-feed themselves, and many do just fine on all of the same foods that the rest of the family is eating. Some babies in very allergic families will actually "self-protect" themselves from allergens by refusing solids until eight or nine months old. In those babies, if their iron level and weight gain is normal for their age, there should be no concern.

After the age of one, long after solids have become a regular part of a baby's diet, your milk will still be the perfect milk for him.

You might be interested in the following web page:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

I wouldn’t worry about the night feeds if you are happy with them. It is actually good for babies to wake up and have night feeds. This is usually something that mothers don’t want to hear but it is true! It is estimated that toddlers will get one third of their calories at night if allowed to feed. And remember that your breast milk is the best food your child will ever have in the whole of his life – don’t be in a hurry to stop giving it. You are not being selfish – in fact you are being the opposite – loving and giving.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

usfret is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the advice. I have been feeding solids first and breastfeeding second because if I breastfeed first he is too full and he refuses solids but is perefctly happy to breastfeed if I do it the other way round. Is there any way I can regulate how much he breastfeeds so that he will still eat some solids?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If he is still happy on just milk why not wait a while for solids?
    After all it isn’t a stage of his life that he will miss if he starts next month instead of this month.

Have you tried finger foods? Most babies seem happy to eat finger foods even when they aren’t interested in mushy food. I think they like the independence of them.

So long as you are still breastfeeding and allowing your baby to have milk feeds often it is unlikely that you will have a problem with your milk supply. Your body is expecting for your baby to start solids around six months and so easily copes with it. It is estimated that once your milk supply is established it takes 42 days (that is 6 weeks) for you to lose your milk after the last breastfeed.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12