Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

under-staffed at matilda?

gidget is offline Registered User
    Just got home from delivering at the Matilda, and had a very positive experience. As well as the mid wives / nurses being on call, you can call for an amah at any time for house keeping and food needs etc.

shri is offline Administrator
    All doctors tend to have their reasons for avoiding some hospitals and rarely tell you the real reason -- which is more than often personal.

Check with folks who have recently delivered and you'll get a more objective response.

sally knowles is offline Registered User

Understaffed Matilda

Im really worried about the Matilda , a freind of mine told me that one of the chinese papers said they were being sued for a lot of money because they did not have a doctor there and a baby was braindamaged .has anyone else heard this ?

jools is offline Registered User
    I haven't heard about this, but all I can do is tell you what I experienced. My doctor was called as soon as went into labour. She was kept fully informed by the hospital and arrived when the time came to start pushing. As far as I know there is always a doctor on call in case of emergencies.

When my waters broke it was apparent that my son had passed the meconium (that sticky green stuff) in the womb. My paediatrician was immediately called, as there is a concern that this stuff can get into the lungs. She arrived very promptly and was able to suction my son out as soon as he was born.

You have to be aware that newspapers will report sensational stories, because it sells news. You also need to realise that they don't always give you all the facts. There may well have been a baby that had complications which caused brain damage and if so, I feel greatly for the parents.

If you feel concerned about the Matilda then use another hospital. All I know is that I have had two fantastic experiences at the Matilda and if we're lucky enough to have a fourth child then we will be going back there without a shadow of a doubt.

Jools

sally knowles is offline Registered User
    Thanks Jools , Ive just searched for the english article in the SCMP-- (because this was stressing me a bit !) it says that a Dr despasqule was telling a midwife what to do over the phone and was not there!! the baby is handicapped it sounds kind of serious -- but i agree about what newspapers are like -- thanks for sharing your experience

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- the Matilda has an obstetrician based at the hospital 24 hrs a day, in case for whatever reason your obstetrican is unable to make it in time. It says this in their info. and I asked, just to make sure.

My obstetrician also told us that as soon as we called the Matilda to let them know we were coming, he would also be called and would come straight away.

rani is offline Administrator
    Sally,

Just read the article. It happened in 1998. It's so sad.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...008304,00.html
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    Eek. I hope things have changed a lot at Matilda since 1998. This seems to be more of a reflection on the doc than the hospital, but you do wonder why another obstetrician wasn't called in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast