Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Flu Shot

carang is offline Registered User
    i didn't have a shot during either of my pregnancies...

both were from july-feb/march (1st was 3 weeks early.... don't know what this one will be)

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I had my flu shot yesterday and the literature they handed out recommended the shot for "women who will be pregnant during influenze season". They defined those women as "people at high risk for complications from influenza". There was at least one preganant lady in the queue.

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    I spoke with my ob about this a week ago and he said I should definitley have it. He thought it was more important for me than for my husband. I also have a friend who got flu whilst pregnant and she had a v hard time and was extremley ill they had to hospitalise her. I will be getting mine soon

jaetee is offline Registered User
    My ob recommends it, but also warned that there are definite side effects, and suggested I give it a think. I am still debating...

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I got flu when I was at 31 weeks and it was awful! I had to be hospitalised because they were worried that the flu might trigger premature labour which was rather scary. Fortunetly everything was ok but being pregnant it took me a lot longer to get better than it otherwise would. Next time I would def get flu shot.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jaetee
    My ob recommends it, but also warned that there are definite side effects, and suggested I give it a think. I am still debating...
    What definite side effects?

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    My doc also strongly recommended it - he said flu can be v. nasty if you're pregnant - esp the high fever which is not at all good for babies.

The problem here is that no one really knows what flu is - most doctors will diagnose a common cold/URTI as 'flu', so people tend to think that these things are the same. Flu kills something like 30,000+ people in the US alone, every year - it's a serious business. Of course the vaccine doesn't give complete protection, but I'll take any protection as better than none - I've had flu only a couple of times in my life and cannot imagine dealing with it while pregnant. I'll be having the shot.

(Oh, and the other problem is that there are far too many busybodies going around saying that pregnant women shouldn't have the shot - presumably the same people who get their entertainment from tormenting pregnant women about not eating ice cream or wearing flip flops...)

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I've had the flu shot twice and the first time I was asked if I was pregnant (I always thought you were not supposed to have if you were preggers). I said no and then later found out I was with my first child (not sure if i was when I actually got the jab though - if not it was very soon after! Similar thing happened with baby no 2.

Don't think I will be getting it again - don't want three children :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast