Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Flu Shot

AmRa6 is offline Registered User
    I think there are 3 main brands of flu vaccine, with only the Sanofi-Pasteur brand being completely thimerosal free. The other two sometimes say preservative-free but thimerosal is used in the manufacturing process. So if your are pregnant, try to go somewhere that has the S-P vaccine. Also go somewhere reliable as last year the govt. found a small batch of "fake" vaccine. Actually I think it was "gray market" rather than fake but not sure.

The side effects usually are soreness in the shot area, low grade fever, and aches. However, my wife had a really bad reaction virtually right away including a headache, dizziness, and nausea that lasted over a week. I would have thought it was an allergic reaction to the eggs except she loves eggs and eats them all the time. The doctor had never heard of it and we couldn't find anything like it on the internet but just thought I'd mention it as a possible side effect. She is definitely never taking one again.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    The vaccine info I received with the shot agrees with those possible side effects, but says they are very rare. And it does say if you are going to have a severe reaction, you will have it right away.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Is the Sanofi-Pasteur shot (mercury/thimerosol free) the one that is generally used in HK??

Thanks. :)

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Last year's fake/grey mkt vaccine mentioned above was the one my company kindly offered to all employees...
    (I got mine privately, before they all found out about the c***-up)

Blee is offline Registered User
    I was 6 months pregnant last October and people told me to get the flu shot. I didn't feel comfortable taking a shot not 100% sure if there will be any side effects to my baby. I asked my doctor if I should do the flu shot. He told me NOT to. He said there is no need. So I didn't get it. But I had every one in my family - my husband, my sister, my parents, my maids - take the shots. I think if you have serious doubts, trust your instincts. Some people take the shots and some don't and they are ok either way. The most important is YOU feel at ease with whichever decision you take.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123