Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

frequency of appointments? (public)

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

frequency of appointments? (public)

Hi there... I'm just wondering about the frequency of doctors appointments. I know in the States it's customary to see the doc only once a month for the first 7 months or so, then it increases to every 2 weeks, and in the final month it's every week.

In the public care system here, how often can i expect to have appointments? I've had my first one, but my second one was scheduled for 6 weeks later.

I'm also wondering when will they try to listen to the heartbeat? And is that something they will do at every appointment?

Thanks!
    All the best,
    Katie

carang is offline Registered User
    from what i remember, unless there's a problem, it's usually around every 4 weeks or so.(however, for lucky ones like me... it's every 2 weeks throughout the entire pregnancy!!!)

usually after 11-12 weeks they try to hear the heartbeat and they listen for it at every appt thereafter.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    I'm going through the public system right now. It has been every 4 weeks until 28 weeks. And then every 2 weeks until 35/36 weeks. And then it's going to be every week.

Just completed 32 weeks ! 8 more weeks to go :)

thanks for the info! I'm just wondering why they scheduled my next apt. 6 wks out, though. Hmmm... I'm getting anxious to hear the heartbeat!! :)
    All the best,
    Katie

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    how many weeks along are you ? Maybe they scheduled it for after 6 weeks so that you will be seeing them every 4 weeks till you get to 28 weeks ?

At the time of my first appointment I was about 10 wks along, now I'm about 13. So I guess at my next appointment I'll be about 16 wks, and then 20 wks for when they scheduled my ultrasound. Does that sound right?
    All the best,
    Katie

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    I think it's different if you've already had a baby. My first time I had appts every 4 wks, but this time only every 6 weeks until 24 weeks or so, then every 4.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I think it's just that you had your initial appointment earlier than most - I think I had my first scan at Tsan Yuk at 12wks - and there are things they want to test at 16wks and 20wks, and they didn't see the need to have you in at 14wks and 16wks. So checkups every 4wks should start from your next appointment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast