Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

First Food for Baby

chubbysan is offline Registered User

First Food for Baby

Hi,

My baby just turned 5mth old, and I was thinking is about time for me to start feeding her solid. So far, she is only on breastmilk, and hardly drink any water.

I am wondering how and what solid food i should start her on first. I hope you could share your experience with me on how and what you first started solid for your little one.

thanks,

Felicia

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Most start with rice/congee. You can make your own or buy packet stuff. Should be sugarless with no added salt or preservatives. Bear this in mind too if cooking your own.

I suggest you invest in a good book. Two I can recommend are 'Super Baby Foods' by Ruth Yaron - very American but also health conscious (not to mention budget conscious) and GF's 'Contented Book of Weaning'.

You do not need to offer your baby any water while breastfeeding -breastmilk is a complete diet. As soon as you introduce solids, babies do need to drink water.
    Good luck - the fun really starts when you're scraping carrot puree off the walls for the third time in a day!
    Last edited by rani; 10-03-2006 at 04:41 PM.

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    Hi Kashismum,

May I know how much portion did you offer when you started solid for your little one?

tks

usfret is offline Registered User
    Hi Chubbysan,

I just started my baby on solids last month. I started with Earth's Best Organic Rice Cereal. 1 tea spoon mixed with breastmilk. For the first two days I had it quite runny. On the third day I started making it a little thicker. I also continued breast feeding.

After a couple of days I started mixing fruit puree with the rice cereal. Again added breast milk to make it easy for baby to eat.

I started with papaya (1 cube) then introduced banana after 3 days and then avocado. These are great first foods as you can just mash them raw. Since then I have tried steamed and pureed apple, pear, carrot, squash (baby didnt like this) and sweet potato.

Initially I was adding the puree to the rice cereal but after about two weeks when I introduced the second meal I stopped adding rice cereal and would feed the baby just fruit or vegetable puree for the morning meal and only rice cereal for the evening meal. So far it's all good.

Hope this helps. Happy feeding.

jasminea is offline Registered User
    try to buy the book-anabel kamel-baby first purees.you will get an idea.basically .starts with baby organix rice ,as they grow older mix with tofu or avocado.buy-superbabyfood by ruth yaron..super handy although she nags on and on and on..

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Just spoke with our doctor about this the other day and she was more a fan of waiting until month 6 if you are breast-feeding. I think the only drawback is food allergies. (Our baby is 4.5 months.)
    I do know they recommend that your baby can perform various tasks before allowing them to eat solid food, so make sure your baby is capable.
    When you read that babies shoud do something by a certain age, that is always a general statement and might not apply to your baby. We have discovered that sometimes we are ahead and sometimes we are behind the "rule".

TingTing is offline Registered User
    Yes, I agree with Sleuth. I give my son first solid food after he turns 6 months. He has loose stools with Gerber rice cereal, banana and pear. He has allergy with pumpkin.

I have give rice cereal for one week and introduce fruit puree (from 1 teaspoon) with rice cereal. Try each new fruit for 3-4days. Then congee with veggie, same try each veggie (carrot, potato, sweet potato, choi sum) one by one for 3-4 days. Finally, fish, pork and egg yolk.

I take two months to test. Now my son is 8 1/2 months old, he has one meal for congee with veggie/meat/egg and one snack for fruit and yogurt.