Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Did you have PUPPP during your pregnancy? If yes, were you carrying a boy or girl?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone had PUPPP while pregnant?

DTHY is offline Registered User

Question Anyone had PUPPP while pregnant?

PUPPP = Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy

While I was pregnant with my boy I developed this terribly itchy rash on my belly, then within a couple of weeks, the rash spread to my bottoms, arms and legs, but, luckily, not on my face. For about six weeks (from the 28th-34th weeks), I couldn't get one good night sleep and kept woken up by the itch. My doctor gave me some lotion to put on, but it didn't work. Finally, I found that Calomine lotion worked, but I had to put so much on to make the itch go way that the lotion's cooling effect made me shivered! And miraculously, the rash went away on the 34th week!

From what I've read on the web, they say that the cause of PUPPP is not yet known, but it could be caused by the following:

greater than normal weight gain in the 3rd trimester
    the male DNA (most PUPPP patients carry boys)
    multiple fetuses

Could anyone who has/had PUPPP share your exerience?

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I had it too. But mine starts at around 15th weeks, I could wake up at the middle of night by the itch. I went to my dermatologist and he prescibe me shower gel and body lotion to use. He told me, some woman will get better after the 3rd trimester, some just has to bear with it through the pregnancy. I'm the latter one, I never could get back on my noraml lotion and shower gel until I gave birth.
    Regarding the sex, that's Chinese belief that women carry a boy have "bad" skin during pregnancy but I had a girl. So I don't know !!!!!

Bear Lau:

Dear Bear Lau,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. We are at the moment planning for another pregnancy (2nd). Did you have PUPPP in your first pregnancy or subsequent pregnancy(ies)? I'm just so afraid that it'll happen again...

Did the lotion and shower gel work?

simplydeelytz is offline Registered User

Unhappy

I am 14 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with PUPPP. I am still looking for reliefs to help me sleep at night. This is just so annoying! I am worried that the baby is affected because of my bad moods b/c of this PUPPP. Right now, I am using "Katinko" ointment, it's metyl salicylate, menthol and camphor and it's cooling effect gives me temporary relief but as soon as the cooling effect fades away... the itchiness begins again... it's so awful! Does anybody of you have permanent relief from this? I've heard that Rainier Soapworks from USA works, but I'm here located in Asia and I might have problems ordering the product and it's shipping! Yikes!

Dear simplydeelytz,

My heart goes to you, and I hope the itchiness will go away soon. I agree, I've tried a lot of different remedies when I had PUPPP and nothing would give permanent relief. Try calomine lotion. Perhaps you could go to your dematologist for some prescribed lotions/ointments/soap?

I've used Rainier Soapworks' PUPPP relief soap! It works and it would take the itchiness away for a while, but it would not give you permanent relief. You can order it on the web and they do ship to Asia.

Remember PUPPP itself does not affect the fetus, so it's up to you... keep your spirit up and it might go away anytime...remember, mine only lasted a few weeks!

:bighug

simplydeelytz is offline Registered User

DTHY,

Thanks so much for all the support! I really need all the support I can get coz PUPPP depresses me so much! I will ask my OB to refer me to a dermatologist that can help me get some Calomine lotion! Thanks again!!! will update about that soon! thanks again!

Not sure about the Philippines, but in HK Calamine lotion is not a prescription drug, so we can get it at any local drug store. Here is a link to more info on Calamine lotion:

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicine...on.asp?id=2970

(Sorry, I've been spelling it wrong...its Calamine, not Calomine...) :o)

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

DTHY,

Both of them works very good for me.

It was my first pregnancy and my dermatologist told me I will possibly have it if I got pregnant again, he reassure me that it is nothing to be worry since I already know how to due with it.

So I guess we just have to due with it. I'm trying the second one now, will let you the result..:-)

Bear Lau:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast