Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Matilda and Adventist - costs

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    thanks kashismum!

catchwater is offline Registered User

Adventist room type not fixed so costs unpredictable

We recently booked to deliver at Adventist in September, what's not mentioned in this forum (as far as I can see) is that the actual room you deliver in is determined by what's available on the day. Quoting from the booking confirmation advice:

"Our hospital does not have room class pre-booking arrangement. Room class may only be chosen at the time of admission and is subject to availability. Different room class will require different advance payment upon admission. If the preferred room class is not available within one class range, refund will be given after deduction of 10% advance payment as administration fee."

So, based on current prices, if you want the lowest cost option, the Ward Room ($15,800), if this is not available but the next class, Semi-Private ($20,800) is available, you have to take this. If only Private ($33,800) or VIP ($41,800) is available, you either stump up the extra, or you have the option to take a 90% refund and go elsewhere - which means the nearest available public hospital, presumably, as private ones are all likely to be fully booked. Adventist may assist you in finding another hospital if they're not too busy! (In the event that they are full and cannot provide a bed, they will find you another hospital and they will provide a full refund.)

So, for this reason you cannot know in advance how much Adventist will cost you.

For info, they have one VIP room, 6 private rooms, 7 semi-private (2 beds), and 1 ward room (4 beds).

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I had a scheduled c-section at the Matilda (private room) this past March. Total bill came to just over HK$130,000.

About half of this was from hospital costs (5-night pckg plus tests for baby's hearing, jaundice testing etc.). The other half of the costs were medical charges from your OB etc. (i.e. the OB/GYN delivery charges, anethetist, daily visits from your OB and Paed etc.)

The whole birthing experience at the Matilda was amazing. I literally did not want to leave. The rooms are very comfortable (does not even feel like a hospital) and the nursing staff are super supportive. It's largely thanks to them that I was able to avoid the bleeding and cracked nipples you hear so much about when first starting to breastfeed.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We had a normal delivery at Matilda two weeks ago. Entire cost was about HK$110,000. Includes everything mentioned above and was for a private room (but not VIP). Also includes extra food (food is included in the package, but not for guests).
    And we would agree that it was well worth it. More like a good hotel than a hospital.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    We had a normal delivery at Matilda two weeks ago. Entire cost was about HK$110,000. Includes everything mentioned above and was for a private room (but not VIP). Also includes extra food (food is included in the package, but not for guests).
    And we would agree that it was well worth it. More like a good hotel than a hospital.
    Sorry, made a typo and caught it too late, but actual cost was about HK$100,000 (not HK$110,000).

Gumboots is offline Registered User

What am I missing?!?

Hi Sleuth and Peainpod

I am due to give birth at the matilda in July and just wondering how you got to the costs that you mention in your posts?

Are you including the prenatal visits that you have already paid for i.e. your ob/gyn visits and scans?

Otherwise, I'm missing about $30-40,000 from my estimate of the costs of the birth including epidural - I've been calculating using OB costs for the birth and daily visits, paediatrician costs (birth and visits), epidural costs, hospital bill etc.?!?!

I'm worried that there is a big fee I don't know about...!!!

The Matilda told us that the package was pretty much all inclusive (with normal drugs etc - not including epidural) except for food for hubby etc. But not even at the Matilda could that add up to $30,000 ;) Is this not true?

Thanks!

peainpod is offline Registered User
    For me, the $130K was the actual bill presented by the hospital on departure - but this is an inclusive bill for all the fees (incl. doctors' fees) for the duration of the hospital stay (including delivery). But the $130K does NOT include the prenatal stuff.

Rough breakdown as follows:
    - Approx HK$50K for the hospital pckg
    - Delivery charge of HK$36K from OB/GYN
    - Delivery charge of HK$3K from Paed (only necessary for c-section)
    - Anaethetist charge of HK$12K (this is separate from actual cost of anesthetic - ie. epidural - which the hospital charges)
    - Daily visits from OB of HK$12K (ie. HK$2K per day x 6; note I was there for 5 nights for c-section so more costly than natural)
    - Daily visits from Paed HK$12K (ie. HK$2K per day x 6)

The above comes to HK$125K. The other HK$5K comes from miscellaneous charges like husband's food, baby tests etc. (Actually food costs for hubbie were quite reasonable - their meal items cost bet HK$50-150 ranging from sandwiches, burgers to steaks.)

VegemiteKid is offline Registered User
    Hi. I had a baby at Matilda 3 weeks ago. Total cost $78k. This was for a normal delivery (not C-section) and included my obs fees for delivery, paedeatrician and anaethetist fees. I had an epidural (they charge extra for this), and I was in a semi private room (two beds). Also covered where infant screening, blood tests, hearing test, immunisation. This cost even included extra meals ordered for my husband and daughter while they were visiting.
    The shared room was fine, the staff where great - but overworked. Apparently I was there in the busiest week they had had in years with a few emergencies and mum's queuing up for a delivery suite! One midwife had attended back to back deliveries for 18 hours! It is lucky they have such dedicated staff - but they need to employ more of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast