Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which veggies?

usfret is offline Registered User

Which veggies?

I have been through most of the fruits - papaya, banana, apple, pear as well as avocado, sweet potato and carrots. Baby didn't like squash. Have a feeling he has now developed a taste for sweet things so want to start him on veggies. Was plannin on spinach but I read something about nitrate poisoning and tha's freaked me out.

What were the first vegetables you introduced? My baby is 6mos old and he's been on solids for around a fortnight.

jubee is offline Registered User
    hello usfret - For veggies we started the little one on peas, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, and a mix with peas, carrots,and potatoes. We started the veggies first and then introduced all the fruit after veggies. I tried spinach before but bb didn't like it at all...

Hi Jubee,

Thanks for the reply. How did you cook the green beans? I'm already giving him sweet potatoes and potatoes (steamed and mashed) I guess the peas could be cooked in the same way. I only founf frozen peas in the super market. Was hoping to find fresh green peas (in pod) which I could shell myself. Not a big fan of frozen foods. I did see some green peas in PnS but they are too soft and tender. I'll try spinach. Did you give baby spinach in mushy or soupy form?

joannek is offline Registered User
    i also introduced spinach as the first green veg. it has a funny taste, so i pureed blanched ones with carrots, and was successful. but mind you, never eat spinach with tofu, i heard there will be some kind of chemical reaction in the tummy.

but i noticed that my bub likes lettuce better than spinach.

thanks Joanna,

do you just run the spinach thru the blender?

msmslau is offline Registered User
    i think i gave her pureed broccoli and asparagus.

Roshna is offline Registered User
    hi,

Frozen vegetables can be better than fresh because they are picked at their peak of goodness and then frozen in a very quck way.

My now 10 month old started eating all the orange vegs first - carrots, squash, etc - all sweet but had no problems eating asparagus, spinach, broccoli. I also gave banana and avocado from the beginning.

When i started, i would steam everything individually and puree. From about 6.5 - 7 months, i started following some annabel karmel recipes - she mixes different veggies and some recipes have meat as well and touch-wood, so far she pretty much eats everything i've made.

i was also afraid to make carrots at home as i also read about nitrates. Really, it's a bit crazy - between worrying about nitrates and now spinach from the US with e. coli to China veggies and their pesticides - i wonder if anything is really safe.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    have you taken a look at Annabel Karmel's books (or website)?, or Gina Ford has some good tips for solids too.

my LO loved parsnip in those early days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast