Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Air Travel with or without carseat?

jubee is offline Registered User

Air Travel with or without carseat?

For our next trip to the US, I'm debating whether or not to take our carseat. I'd like to get some opinions/experiences other parents have had with/without the carseat. My little one will be exactly 2 years on our next trip and 14 hours is quite the haul...(seems like on the few trips we've taken, we're the only ones lugging around a giant carseat.)

Thanks!!

kashismum is offline Registered User

Also wondering about this. Jubee, presumably, you 've booked a seat on the plane for your LO? I'm not sure when you have to.
    For us, I think we may as well since we'll be hiring a car in the US and we'd have to hire an additional car seat. I figure we may as well take our own.
    Any thoughts?

Sleuth is offline Registered User

We use the car seat, but our son is only 5 months and it beats holding him for 14+ hours. Plus it turns into a stroller so we never carry the car seat around. Actually quite handy in airports.
    At 2 years old, couldn't he sit in the normal airplane seat? Then the issue becomes what do you do with him in the states where you have to have a car seat.

capital is offline Banned

I'll be taking my 1 year old and just 3 year old soon, will be purchasing a seat for the 3 year old. We are coming to hong kong and won't be using the car seat there, but I am considering taking it, just so that I can strap him in and he is not trying to run around. We recently went on a 1 1/2 hour plane ride (he is 2 and 3/4 now) and thank goodness it was only 1 1/2 hours, because by the end he kept taking off his seat belt and wanting to stand up. I'd like to hear how others deal with this too. I know there is no way he will stay in his seat for 12-13 hours.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

I have just returned from New Zealand (11 hour flight) and we used a car seat for our 14mth old despite the fact that we don't have a car in Hong Kong so he is not used to travelling in one. To use it we had to pay for a seat on the plane. Using the car seat on board was useful in three ways - we put it in the recline position so it made it easier for toddler to sleep, he can't undo the buckle (unlike the plane seatbelt!), and because we were taking it on board we didn't have to include it in our luggage allowance.

If your toddler is used to using a car seat I would definitily recommend using it on the plane

jools is offline Registered User

I might be wrong, but I thought once the child was two they had to have their own seat?

Jools

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

You are right Jools - but you can still take a car seat. In fact if you want to take a car seat you have to pay for a seat on the plane - nowhere to put the car seat otherwise!

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Make sure you tell the airline how young the child is and, even if you have the car seat, ask for the bassinet. Our 3 month old slept in the bassinet during the "night" and his car seat/our laps for his naps the last time we flew to HK.
    Seat prices for under 2 are discounted, as are (usually) 2 to 11 though not as much.
    Korean Air is flying our 6 month old son from Atlanta to HK for $693, round trip, in business class.
    Delata/Continental give a 50% discount on international and 25% on domestic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast