Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Misoprostol for Missed Abortion

hkmama is offline Banned

Misoprostol for Missed Abortion

Hello. I found out I had a missed abortion/miscarriage at 8 weeks. My doctor, Dr. Joe Chan,offered D & C (for $15,000) but after asking for more options he suggested using Misoprostol as a non-surgical alternative. Has anyone ever used this? Dr. Chan prescribed 400 mcg every 48 hours. Based on the clinical research that I've looked up on the web, however, all the recommended doses seems to be 800 mcg with additional doses after 24 hours....so I'm really confused. The procedure is about 80-90% effective based on 800 mcg according to the studies I've seen on the web. I'm worried that Dr. Chan is recommending too weak a dose therefore making the entire process a waste of time! I have to say that I also didn't like the way he said nothing about possible side effects or when to seek medical help while I'm undergoing the process. I found that info online as well! After paying $600 for a consultation I wonder if I would've received more info from a doctor at a local hospital or clinic.

Anyone have any advice? Although I'm not struggling financially, I don't have insurance and I want to get this whole situation dealt with. Does the family planning assosiction deal with this or are there other clinics or hospitals in Hong Kong that might?

Thanks.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I learnt when I was nine weeks pregnant that my baby had died about two weeks earlier. One of the options my doctor offered me, and which I decided on, was to let the baby pass naturally when it was ready. This happen about 10 days later. The doctor did tell me that there was a slighter higher change of an infection but it also meant that I didn’t have to have any extra medical procedures at a time when I was already very emotional because of the lost.

Also if you aren't happy with your doctor. I would recommend getting a second opinion. I know this costs more but sometimes peace of mind is worth a lot.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Mariahtommy is offline Registered User
    Hi, Hkmama, I did have a spontaneous miscarriage about 6 months ago and was managed by Dr Joe Chan as well. However, my experience was totally different. Dr Chan found that our baby stopped growing without heart beat on scan. He was very good and supportive. He explained to us that this was very common and this was probably due to some genetic reasons. He was very patient and allowed us ample of time to ask questions.
    Regarding the treatment options, he told us that the standard treatment would be D&C. He did tell us the other options of wait and see as well as the use of misoprostol. He even gave us his research paper on the use of misoprostol in this area.
    We didn't go to the web as what you did, because we trust him. We finally chose to use the drug. Can't remember the dosage, 2 tablets for 2-3 doses. The treatment was very successiveful and there was not much side-effect.
    Dr Chan is very encouraging. We are still trying. One thing I am sure is that I will definite use him again.

I agree with Barb that you may get a second opinion. Although Dr Chan is good, he is not able to please everybody and you may find somebody that you can get along with. Cheers!!!
    Last edited by Mariahtommy; 10-14-2006 at 12:15 AM.

hkmama is offline Banned
    Thanks for your advice. I did end up using the misoprostol and it didn't work after three doses. It's very strange that although the pregnancy miscarried 5 weeks ago the fetus has not passed through my body yet. I'm torn between waiting a bit longer and getting the D & C.