Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Rotavirus Jab

chubbysan is offline Registered User

Rotavirus Jab

Hi anyone heard of this Rotavirus jab before? i was at a pediatrician yesterday and she recommended that I gave my 5 mth old bb this jab. cos this jab must be taken b4 she turns 6mth old, so i was wondering if it is necessary?

any advise?

tks

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Please look at the attached site. http://www.cispimmunize.org/

summersun is offline Registered User

In response to your question I would say that no a rotavirus vaccination is not necessary. Rotavirus is a very common virus that you develop immunity to with exposure/age.

However my 14 month old got the virus last year and it was a miserable 3 days in hospital with an IV, weightloss, and general malaise for about a week after.

It was not a pleasant experience but I'm still not sure I would have used the vaccination had it been available to me. I really think it depends on how you feel about vaccinations/exposure to viruses.

Manu is offline Registered User

Hi,
    we have also been offered this vaccination for our 5 months old son, but the doctor told me, that he would really only recommend it, if we are planning to participate in a lot of functions or so for the next few months (especially christmas etc.). The risk to catch the virus is higher if a lot of different people might be holding your baby. Another thing is, should you already have an older child who might be able to catch it in kindergarten for ex. the baby could catch it as well. It's more individual to decide.
    The vaccination has been tested for 1 year now in 40.000 babys.
    Manu

Felicia Soh is offline Registered User

Chubbysan,
    It's good to get infant or child below 6 to have the rotavirus vaccination, although it might be costly, around SGD180 for 2vax (oral type). My second son (now 18months) had it few months ago. Likewise to Summersun, I had an awful experiece with my elder son who got rotavirus last year, he stayed in hospital for 5 days, on drip, vomit (whatever in, whatever out) and diarrhear countlessly! It's very heartaching to see your child going through the suffer, so is better to prevent it from happening.
    Felicia Soh.

shahirakk is offline Registered User

My son is older - 14 months. He wasnt born in HK and has had a really bad chest infection. Can he have this jab later? What are people's experience of this virus/ any ways of controlling it?

Shahira KK

chubbysan is offline Registered User

hi all,
    really thanks for the reply and will think thru again b4 deciding if i shd give my girl the jab.

Felicia Soh is offline Registered User

I know it's infectious through saliva, one has to keep him or herself hygiene and wash hand with soup before taking food or after toilet. When a family member travels back from Indonesia or other poor countries and feeling unwell eg. fever and diarrhear, is better to keep childrens away from him/her. The vaccination is optional.