Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doctors for Treating Ezcema - Helen Chan

arkcocoon is offline Registered User

Doctors for Treating Ezcema - Helen Chan

My son suffers from really bad ezcema and a colleague recommended that we take him to see doctor helen chan (in central building, peddar street, central), who apparently specializes in skin allergies. Has anyone been to this doctor? How did you find her? Thanks very much for sharing. a

Jo&Caia is offline Registered User
    Sorry I have nothing to share on Helen Chan but just wanted to share my experience...

My daughter also has eczema and was told by 2 doctors that there's not much we can do about it. Was told to switch to soy milk (but didn't really help) and to moisturize the affected skin as often as possible to prevent from drying which causes it to itch. Tried several lotions until I finally found a lotion that contains oatmeal that really work wonders with my baby's rashes... unfortunately it's not being sold in HK, so have to bother friends to get them overseas... if you want to know the brand I can PM you (not to sure if I can post it in the forums).

I was also told by doctors that eczema usually gets better as baby's get older.

Margit72 is offline Registered User

Helen Chan

We visited Dr.Helen Chan when my son had severe atopic excema. My son had the excema when he was 6month old. Now he is 3 years old and he has a beautiful skin.
    Our story
    The excema appeared when he was around 6 month old. I asked the peditrician what to do and he recommended a cream called ELIDEL. We used it but no success. I went to a dermatologist and he gave us a cream that contained cortison. This helped for the moment but the day we stopped it, the skin even became worse.
    I read a lot in the Internet and studied a lot of articles;mixed with my common sense I came to the conclusion that NO cream will help my son unless I change his diet.
    At that moment I had an appointment with Dr. Helen Chan.
    She saw Fabian and she said that his excema was really serious and after making an allergy test, she was not confident in helping him as he reacted on all tested items.
    She started a "treatment"
    Bathing once a week-she gave us an oil( black in colour and awful smell)
    She mixed two creams. One cream for "open"excema and one cream for "closed"excma. Those creams were excellent!
    She recommened Soy Milk as the allergy test showed a strong reaction to cows products.
    We tried Soy milk and it DID NOT work at all, even worse.
    The last chance was NEOCATE, a very expensive formula. We tried and it also DID NOT work. I was helpless and I thought NOBODY can help Fabian.
    At that moment we also introduced solids and I started with carrots. After introducing carrots the skin was a the most serious stage. I stopped carrots and I introduced very slowly solids to my son. I tried Pepti Junior formula and the skin became more stable.
    I found out that atopic excema will be getting worse when feeding starch products, such as potatos, carrots, corn, etc,
    Citrus fruits-that means too much vitamin C will also cause problems.
    Prepare the food by yourself, otherwise you will never know the exact ingredients.

Based on my experience, do not trust the result of an allergy test made with a baby/toddler as a this stage they are weak and they will show a reaction in any way.

It's a perfect advise bathing the baby once a week only!

I believe that most excemas can be healed by using the correct diet.

If you need more information, please send a message

Margit

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    I took my son to Dr. Helen Chan when he was a year old. He is 3 years old now and has been eczema free for 2 years. He had severe atopic eczema in the beginning and like the rest, we've tried several kinds of creams to no success. At that point, i also did my own research and was interested in the link between food allergy and eczema. So a friend recommended us to Dr. Helen Chan and we did the allergy test.

With the same treatment indicated above (bath oil, creams) and avoiding the food he is allergic to, we saw a dramatic change in his skin immediately. And like i said, he has not had any recurrence of eczema. We also avoid lotions, colognes and regular bathing soap to avoid irritation.

We do the allergy test every 6 months because as babies grow, their immune system strengthens and reaction to food varies. I've seen my baby allergic to 25 out of the 50 items on the list when he was a year old and in our last test (a month ago), he is now just allergic to 8 of them.

Hope this helps

arkcocoon is offline Registered User

Thank You...

... so much everyone. Very much appreciate your sharing.

My husband could not wait any longer and so not having waited for your responses we took our son to dr helen chan yesterday.

I was so heartbroken though because my son did not stop crying for 45 minutes after they pricked those holes on his back. We really were not prepared for it - we were shown to the space right outside the doctor's office and before we knew it, my son's clothes were taken off, he was clamped down by the nurses and they started the pricking. My son could not stop crying whilst i held him up (as instructed by the nurses to ensure that the marks don't get rubbed off). Neither the doctor or the nurses offered any help or comfort during that 45 minutes. every time we asked how much longer its going to take we get the same answer - "just in a short while". that short while turned out to be 45 minutes by the end of which my son was utterly exhausted from crying and i started crying too.

I hope the treatment does work because I really cannot imagine subjecting my baby to the same test again.

I was most disappointed with the way the doctor and the nurse handled my baby.

a

sunrays is offline Registered User
    I'm so sorry to hear about your son's eczema. I had severe eczema all my life and tried every lotion and potion around. I have written about my experience on another thread, search the forums for eczema and you should find it. I hope Helen Chan works for you, if not, please try 'Integrated Medicine Institute' in Central. The website is www.imi.com.hk.

Good luck

Felicia Soh is offline Registered User
    I've sent you a private message to share my idea. Pls let me know you duly receive it.
    Thank you.

joecheung is offline Registered User
    May be you could try chinese medicine. The nly concern is feeding the herbs to your baby as the taste could be a bit 'unpopular'. Pls take a look at :

http://www.health2joy.com/servicesEnglish.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast