Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

wt to eat n wt not to eat?

joannek is offline Registered User
    my theory is also whatever i eat, she eats. so i made extra sure that i'm having a healthy & balanced diet, to get her off a good start - which is the reason why i breastfed. i also watched my diet very carefully,

this is my version : no too "hot" or too"cold" or "wet" food. hot meaning deep fried, hot pot, spicy, durian, too much chicken; cold meaning crab, eggplant, temperature cold food, too much watermelon; wet meaning crab, prawn, pineapple, orange, etc. (but then if you don't believe in chinese medicine, this is a load of crap). i also refrain from even decaf. (cos there's till caffeine in decaf, but the experts will tell you that one cup of coffee is ok?)

and balance diet means, 3 carbs (best if rice), 2 veg, 1 protein. less junk. less saturated fat. more mono/poly fat.

and i did that not only while i was bfeeding, i started when i was pregnant. my thoughts are i'd rather watch my diet for say 1 yr-3yr, to exchange possibly a lifetime of health for my kid. if you have a healthy kid, they are so much easier to take care of, and so much less to worry about.

:Butbut i.e if you believe in chinese medicine. but i have a friend who believes in ch med, but still eats spicy, hot pot frequently while pregnant & bfeeding. who has asthma herself, her baby is developing asthma. but still smokes once she finishes bfeeding. but you can tell that she cares greatly about her baby. so every mother is different. if you don't watch your diet, it doesn't mean you're a bad mother. & if you watch yours, it doesn't mean you're a good one either.....

nikimom is offline Registered User
    thanks joannek, i beleive in ch med, but sometimes its just so much restriction to have a balanced diet. i'm just following very loosely on that, so i dont refrain myself eating the food you mentioned, but i only eat a small if its hot or cold or wet. the first thing i need to do now should be cutting down the amount of junk food i eat, i still eat chips from time to time. I'm still used to my sweet apetite b4 i got preg, still eating a small cup of ice cream everyday or pieces of chocolate, i need to have either one to cheer myself up.
    naughty mom though not a bad one :P

i used to reward myself with 2-3 scoops of ice-cream three to four times a week while i was bfeeding. then baby developed a bad case of eczema. i stopped the ice-cream, and the ezcema slowly disappeared. one of my friends had a big pack of chips & baby developed acne on the face.....

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    I think I'm a lucky one. I basically ate/drank everything during my pregnancy and bfeeding, I even have watermelon from the 2nd trimester!!!! ( Chinese believe it is too cold)

The only food I stopped while I bfeeding was caffine, I completely gave up my coffee and milk tea !!!!!

My girl seems to be OK even I had raw fish, curry... She is now 6.5months, quit bfeeding 1/2 month ago, everything seems to be OK with her.
    Bear Lau:

nikimom is offline Registered User
    you are reli lucky bear lau, i tried curry (just ate the meat and veggie inside, not the sauce) my daughter seemed fine, but the last time when it was quite spicy and hot, she cant poo poo for a no., of days n cried when she tried.

i had sashimi,big time after the month of confinement, and i had diarrhea rite after, but luckily, nth happened to my daughter, so now i just have moderate amount of sushi or sashimi in reputable restaurant.

as for caffine, i once in awhile have a decaf cappucino, then i wont feed her or expresss until 3 hours later, i hope this helps :)

My daughter also has skin problems but not as bad as ezcema, she just has rashes, patches of redness all over her body n face when she ' angry, cranky and having a bath, but it goes away after she's cooled down , not sure if its has to do with the ice cream i have everyday. Joannik, is yogurt any better, i'm trying use it to substitute ice cream.

yogurt is better. but frozen yogurt is the same as ice-cream, i think. cos it's proabably the cold temperature of the food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top