Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Choosing between 2 helpers

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    XNYC Mama - the reason I asked is because the comment sounded derogatory. Firstly to the helpers - it is really just children who are referred to as spoilt, not grown women. Secondly to westerners, as it infers that we are foolish for not making our helpers work hard enough. Thirdly, to chinese employers because there are plenty of great ones out there and plenty of awful western employers.

FWIW - I must fall in the category of a foolish employer, because we send our helper home twice a year when we go on holidays, or give her the equivalent $$.

My personal view is that your helper looks after your most precious people - your family. When you find a good one, pay them too much money and do whatever you can to ensure they stay and stay happy. Seems like commonsense to me.

OK, off my high horse now. Doesn't remotely help you choose between two helpers either. Good luck.

X-NYC mama is offline Registered User
    NYC, at the moment
    Jane01, my apologies...I was just reiterating what I was told by the agencies. I have met helpers who just left a 6 yr contract with a salary of $7500 for example. Now I am starting out with my 1st helper, I cannot pay her that much and also send her home 2x a year w/out knowing her at all. Obviously, once she has worked for me and credibility has been established we can talk about such things. I am also seeing a lot of helpers come in and ask for such things upfront - unfortunately I am not willing to promise anyone anything upfront.

Didn't mean to offend you. You are very lucky to have a good helper. Hopefully we will too :-)

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    cheung chau
    And please remember that paying more does not guarantee that someone will work harder/better. People's attitudes towards their jobs depends on far more than just money.
    I personally would not employ a helper asking for more than the minimum salary - I understand that it is supposed to be a minimum and not a standard, but there are any number of excellent helpers who are perfectly happy to work for that sum. If you start higher and she is a disappoinment then you will really resent the extra money. Start with the minimum and then you can pay more later.
    Of course a lot depends on your own financial position - $7500 is twice what I pay my helper, so I suppose if I was earning twice my current salary it would work out the same...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12