Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to avoid using agency??

jaetee is offline Registered User

How to avoid using agency??

We are looking to bring a helper to work for us from the Philippines - she is a relative of someone we know, and were wondering what the steps are to hire directly without going through an agency.

1) Can we hire without using an agent/agency?
    2) Are there advantages to using an intermediary/agency if we already have a candidate in mind?
    3) Can someone tell me how to bypass/avoid using the agency if we already know who we want to hire?

Thanks so much. :)

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    I had mine about 1year ago from Philippines without an agency. You just have to go to the immigration department and they will let you have all the forms. You just have to follow the instruction they gave you.
    The advantage to go through an agency is you don't have to do the paperwork on your own. Some people told me the process will be quicker if you go through an agency, but from my experience it is not, it took me less then 5 weeks to issue the visa.
    Bear Lau:

Thanks Bear Lau. Do you know how much money we save if we dont use an agency? And is there an advantage to using an agency?

Thanks so much again.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    my agency charges me a one time fee of around $2000 for everything, selection, paperwork etc. having used the same one for years, we even pay for them to help with renewals.

even with a candidate in mind, the advantage of still using an agency is to have them do background checks for you and still interview the candidate, due dillegence basically.

i've heard bad things before, even with referrals (cousins, sisters of current helpers). bad habits after they arrive, borrowing etc. my take with agencies is that they deal with hundreds of helpers every month, and they might be able to spot things we cannot see.

of course, many people also does their own hiring and turns out perfectly fine. personally, agency or not, i think a lot of it is luck really. good helpers are hard to come by...

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    Agreed with Kellyst.

The only reason I did it on my own was I know the helper and at that point I just quit my job and waiting for my baby to come - Nothing to do.:-(
    If in the future I have to hire another helper, I won't do it myself even I know them.
    Bear Lau:

Thanks - any recommendations for a good agency to use, who can help with logistics if we have a candidate in mind?

Many thanks again. :)

kellyst is offline Registered User
    jaetee, i've recommended this one on another thread. here goes again...

Once Employment Agency (small agency run by a couple)
    contact Mr. Wan

if you have a candidate in mind, they can help with the logistics, and i think most importantly, could do background checks and due dilligence on your candidate to be sure (that is if you don't know the candidate, would be a good idea)