Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby sign class

shahirakk is offline Registered User

does anyone know where you can get the Garcia sign pack from since you all have such positive feedback. Has anyone tried the other pack Rani mentions?

Son is 15 months old and can say "hewo" (for hello) and "Uh Oh" - be great to get him to speak and I hear signing really can help. What are your experiences - can it help babies/toddlers later on in life??

Shahira KK

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

The Baby Signs Starter Kit by Drs. Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwyn is a good kit. Drs. Acredolo and Goodwyn are the pioneers of the whole baby signing movement and have done over 20 years of research on the subject.

For toddlers/older kids: Signing can help you understand your child better when the words are not forthcoming yet or when they still have difficulty articulating certain words. My son is quite a chatterbox and is already speaking in full sentences; even then there are words that he has difficulty articulating well (e.g. helicopter, and other 'long' words). This is where signing comes in handy. Instead of him saying a word and us not getting it and him getting frustrated because he could not get his message across, he could do the sign for the word that he could not say properly and we'd know what he's trying to say! I can't tell you how rewarding signing has been for both him and for us. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share more.

rani is offline Administrator

Shakira,

The Joseph Garcia kit is now in stock in the US. Will order a few copies. And it will arrive in HK in 2 weeks.

Anyone else want one?

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Rubyinthedust is offline Registered User

Baby Signing

Shakira,

Although this thread is quite old, I thought that I would add some info.

I lived in London and enrolled my daughter into Sing and Sign classes when she was 5 months old, she is now 4 and we have just moved to HK. Visit http://www.singandsign.com/ where you can subscribe online and order DVD's so that you can set your own schedule and follow the Sing and Sign program at home. From my own personal experience, it was much better than the Joseph Garcia Kit and far superior to other baby signing classes as I trialled these over in the UK as well. My daughter started signing at age 8 months and had a baby signing vocabulary of 50 words at age 13 months. From 18 months of age we started on the phonic alphabet and colours and now at age 4 her Reception Teacher has said that she is a 10 year old trapped in a 4 year olds body! Her teacher is trying to challenge her at school!

Fabulous program with excellent results.

Cheers,

Rubyinthedust

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12