Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not enough milk - Top up bottles

ninahudd is offline Registered User

Not enough milk - Top up bottles

My baby is 1 month old and i have been exclusively breat feeding. She has been putting on weight and all was going well. But now she has started feeding non stop all the time and i feel i am not producing enough milk to satisfy her. Does anyone have any idea what is going on, what i should do etc.

I've heard about people giving top up bottles of formula feed. I'm not sure i like the idea but it may just have to be. What are the best formula brands i can get in hk?

carang is offline Registered User
    in order for you to produce more milk, she needs to suck more... give it a few days and your supply will increase to meet the demand... however, if you "top up" then she will not suck any more on the breast adn your supply will decrease accordingly...

if you want to continue breastfeeding, then DON"T top up.. you, yourself, said that the baby was increasing in weight, so stop worrying! so long as she is happy, and increasing in weight, then you have nothing to worry about!

rani is offline Administrator
    Nina,

Sounds like a growth spurt.

Read more about growth spurts here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Hang in there, its just temporary. Drink lots of water and try to relax.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

stress head

Thanks for the advice. Think i may be stressing slightly. My husband has been doing some of the night feeds on expressed bottles and i read that you shouldn't miss feeds before 6 weeks old or you will lose your milk supply. I may have dimisnished it but hope to get the supply back up again now. She has just finally gone to sleep on a satisfied tummy. Phew!!!

joannek is offline Registered User
    agree with carang. it sounds like a growth spurt. it is normal for the bfeeding mom to feel that she is not producing enough milk thru a growth spurt. but you do. the more she sucks, the more you produce. a mother's body is made for feeding her babies thru growth spurts. so don't worry, especially that everything's been going fine. just nurse her on demand, your supply should be up in a day or 2. plus, if you want to try, mother's milk tea also helps increase supply. and drinks lots of water. =)

kashismum is offline Registered User
    If you want to pump, that's fine but I wouldn't recommend skipping a feed so soon i.e giving a bottle of expressed milk. You can save anything you pump in the freezer and the extra stimulation may help to boost your supply. In the meantime, let your baby suck, suck, suck! At that stage, I was feeding hourly!

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Agree - this is normal. DON'T top up with formula! As long as she is gaining weight and seems happy/healthy then she will be fine. This 'not enough milk' thing is very common here, and it's the reason most people give for not continuing breastfeeding. People here like kids to be FAT (not just a bit chubby, mind, but FAT) - so they stuff them withformula.
    You just keep on breastfeeding, and try not to worry too much about the quantity of milk.

thanks

thanks everyone. I've followed your advice and my milk supply seems to have come up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast