Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

windy baby

ninahudd is offline Registered User

windy baby

My baby seems to be realy windy and it causes her a lot of dicomfort (mainly while I am feeding her which can get difficult). The lady at the child health clinic told me it was probably something I was eating like fresh fruit, onions etc. and said something about nonsoluble fibre (I think). Does anyone know what foods could cause the baby to have wind so I know where to start on watching my diet?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Although occasionally the foods you eat can cause babies problems (especially if you come from very allergic families) it is much more likely that improvements in the breastfeeding technique will help.

The things that can help reduce wind in babies are:

Don’t wait until the baby is crying to feed. When a baby cries he gets too upset to feed well. Look for the early signs that your baby is ready to feed – licking lips, ticking tongue out, rooting and hand to mouth activity.

Make sure that the baby is in the best possible position to feed:
    • Sit so that your back is straight and your lap is flat.
    • You can use a pillow to support your arms when holding baby.
    • Turn your baby’s body towards your tummy.
    • Tuck your baby’s bottom under your elbow.
    • Hold your baby at the top of the back, behind the neck and between the shoulders so that his head tilts backwards (DON'T HOLD HIS HEAD).
    • Start with your baby’s nose opposite your nipple.
    • Move the underside of your breast gentley across your baby’s mouth until your baby’s mouth opens really wide.
    • Baby’s bottom lip and chin should touch your breast first.
    • Your Baby’s chin will be in close contact with your breast.
    • Your baby is able to breathe easily.
    • You can feel your baby has a big mouthful of breast.

Sometimes it helps to have the baby’s head slightly higher than your breast. For example, feeding while the baby is sitting up or propped with pillows, Or maybe with you lying flat and your baby on top of you.

Lots of short feeds tend to help babies with wind and colic. Often it is the rests between bouts of feeding that winding gives rather than the winding itself that the baby finds helpful.

Please call one of the LLL leaders if you continue to have problems.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Maggie 2817-7475
    Sarah: 2548-7636
    Rochelle: 2947-7147
    Margarita: 2257-6757
    Maggie 9048-1701 (Chinese)
    e-mail: [email protected]
    web-site: www.lllhk.org

KatBoo is offline Registered User

The best bit of advice I had when my wee man was very little, was to burp after the 1st minute! Not wait until the end, or even half way through (as some books advise). This is because they often gulp the first bit (hunger / faster flow) and swallow lots of air too. If you continue, it gets trapped under all the milk and is harder to get up.

This worked like a treat for us....he was really windy before this and after i started doing this (aswell as burping at the end of a feed) he seemed to really calm down.

Also, try sitting baby with a really straight back and head when winding.....gives the wind a clear route out...this worked well for me too.

K

Scroll to top