Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby carrier/carseat

jaetee is offline Registered User

Baby carrier/carseat

I am looking for a car seat that can be used for newborns for taxis and for airlines. If possible would like to be able to use the car seat for as long as possible - do they have any that can be used for newborns and for toddlers?

This is a big gift from a bunch of friends so would love a carseat/carrier that does everything and anything, with all the bells and whistles.

And since a bunch of people are getting together on the gift, the price (for once) is not that big a problem. Heck if it can be a cot or a highchair, much the better. :D :D

BTW - if you recommend something that is part of a travel system, that would be great as well. :)

gidget is offline Registered User
    Best bet is to pop into one of the baby stores like B2B etc to compare the range.
    I'll just give you a recommendation for what I have, which I am happy with.

We chose the Maxi Cosi capsule with a Quinny frame. The Citi model of these car seats is FDR rated and can be used on the plane. keep in mind you need to buy an extra seat for your baby to be able to do this.

We chose the Zapp pram to use it with as a travel system, as it is light weight, and as we don't have a car easy to get in and out of taxis with and carry on the endless HK stairs when need be.
    They fit on any Quinny and Bugaboo prams though and no doubt many others as well.

As I said our combination, has worked really well for us, but everyone's needs are different and there are a number of car seat brands and all have a model which will do similar.

As far as I have seen these capsules only last up until about 6 - 12 months {depends on the weight and length of your baby}. If you have a car there are convertible style car seats which will take you through to a toddler, but these wouldn't be able to be used on a pram or a plane etc, so you would need to choose one or the other.

There is also something called a Sit and Stroll,which may suit you, but I don't have one, so will let others comment for you, or you could do a search for other threads on it.
    Last edited by gidget; 10-27-2006 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your own experience with the car seat. I am at a loss for what to buy - I was originally thinking of a Graco stroller, but am now wondering if I should get a travel system.

If only I can find a travel system that will take us from newborn to toddler, and still be able to use in taxis (we dont have a car) as well as airplanes. As for the stroller, I would love to find one that can have the baby forward or rear-facing - saw a Combi like that but didnt note the model name. :(

Please keep the suggestions coming. :)

Thank you so much.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    We have the Maxi Cosi Cabrio and the bugaboo chameleon. The Maxi Cosi snaps onto the bugaboo frame. The bugaboo comes with pram part and stroller part, both of which can be forward or rear facing. We are currently using the pram part, in fact it is the only thing our two week old will sleep in; the stroller part is from 5 or so months right through to 3 years.

Thanks for the suggestions - have a few questions:

1) can the Maxi Cosi be used beyond the "newborn to one year old" stage?
    2) is the Bugaboo easy to fold up and is it convenient to use?
    3) is there any car seat that can be used from newborn to toddler stage?

thanks so much. :)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    As far as I know the Maxi Cosi can only be used up to one year, or a certain weight.
    The bugaboo doesn't fold as one- the frame folds up but the pram/stroller part doesn't unless you take it completely apart. For example when it arrives you have to assemble it yourself.

So no carrier that is suitable from birth until toddler?

Thanks Rebecca. :) So I guess my search for a baby carrier that will be suitable from newborn until toddler age (for taxis and airplanes) is a no go, huh?

At this point it doesnt even need to fit into the stroller, but if it can be used for taxis and airplanes, and has a carrying handle, I would be happy. :)

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    The Sit-n-Stroll is a front and rear facing carseat, FAA approved airline seat and it converts from stroller to seat (the wheels pull under the base, handle telescopes). The stroller can roll down airplane aisles also. Great for malls and airports, not so great cross-country. Good for up to 40 pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast