Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Allergic to Rice

arkcocoon is offline Registered User

Unhappy Allergic to Rice

My baby took an allergy test and we discovered that not only is he allergic to formula, he's also allergic to rice. He's just over 8 months old and we've just started giving him solids.

Please could you let me know what other foods you've given your babies that you would recommend as substitute for rice?

Thank you all for sharing. a

msmslau is offline Registered User
    For a 8 mth old, maybe he can try sweet potato, yams, avocado, potato, oatmeal, banana and buckwheat noodle etc (i.e. soba)?

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    I also weaned my son millet and quinoa. He too had a positive blood test saying that he was allergic to rice (along with other things). But we repeated this with a skin prick test which came out negative. Maybe it's something you'd want to consider. There is s private allergist based in the Princes Building in Central or the waiting time for a Pediatric Allergist at Queen Mary is about 3-4 months.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    have also sent you a pm

saralee is offline Registered User
    Hi arkcocoon!

I too have found out recently my 11 month old is allergic to rice in addition to wheat, corn and dairy. I am planning to try quinoa soon. I have also tried porridge oats for breakfast with success. I am also going to try glass noodles (made from mung bean) and also kamut pasta if it is gluten free although I'm not sure that it is. She already eats potato and sweet potato as rice alternatives.

Wink

Thank you all for sharing.

Jo Bowd - thank you so much for your pm. very much appreciated.

a

mummybee is offline Registered User
    arkcocoon,
    i know this is an old thread but i just come across your post and just want to say I really feel for you and your baby on his allergies. I too am a mum of a child with severe allergies, but I just cannot imagine had she been allergic to rice, her staple diet! She is diagnosed to be allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, pork, beef, apple, nuts, peach, cauliflower, potato family, and the list is growing!!
    Giving her a variety of food she can take has been challenging, and I would like to share with you the list of foods she is NOT allergic to (by trial and error), as your bub may be able to tolerate these too:
    carrots, zuchinni (green and yellow), pumpkin (she loves this), pear, pak choy, kale, asparagus, chinese spinach (though i think this is giving her more wind), banan, papaya, avocado.
    What reaction your son gets when he eats rice? eczema?
    Given he is allergic to formula, what is he taking now? My daughter takes Pepti-Junior an extensively hydrolysed cows milk formula. she is severely allergic to cows milk, goats milk.
    Please PM me anytime if you wish and I woul dbe more than willing to give suggestions!!!! Also most babies do grow out of their allergies apparently by age 3.5 so hang in there. my daughter's eczema has improved sooo much over the months (it started when she was 4 weeks old) I am sure your baby will fine too.

thank you for your message MummyBee.

Yes, its been difficult. My son appears to be allergic to lots ofthings - we just discovered that he's also allergic to fish. All we manage to give him now without having an ezcema outbreak is soymilk (isomil), potatoes, pork, green leafy vegies, and bananas.

I feel really bad coz I feel I must have done something wrong to have this kind of inconvenience and discomfort inflicted on my son.

by the way, we did try giving my son pepti-junior but he just refused to drink it. two of the three docs we went to recommended that we feed him soymilk instead. is there any reason why you're not giving your daughter soy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast