Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

what do u mean by trick or treat in halloween?

seashells is offline Registered User

what do u mean by trick or treat in halloween?

hi everyone....my 6 year old came back from school and said .....can i go for trick or treat???????
    :Butbut Whats that???????????????I have never been so keen about halloween ,so please pardon me ,and can anyone help me understand this?....i want to send my son....but as its his first time...i want to explain him the whole thing b4 he is out with his friends.....Thanks a lot...waiting for replies!!!!!!!!!!!

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User

Halloween
    Also called "All Hallows Eve", Halloween is a holiday that occurs annually on October 31. Derived from a pagan festival, it's the night when ghosts and spirits have the power to roam the world. It's customarily celebrated by children dressing in costumes and going door-to-door to collect candy.

Trick-or-treating, also known as Guising, is an activity for children on Halloween in which they proceed from house to house, asking for treats such as candy with the question, "Trick or treat?" Trick-or-treating is done in costume and is one of the main traditions of Halloween. It has become socially required if one lives in a neighborhood with children, to purchase candy in preparation for trick-or-treaters.

History
    The practice of dressing up in costumes and begging door to door for treats on holidays goes back to the Middle Ages. Trick-or-treating resembles the late medieval practice of "souling," when poor folk would go door to door, receiving food in return for prayers for the dead on All Souls Day. It originated in the British Isles, and is still popular in Ireland, and in some parts of England and Scotland.

Hope that helps abit. Cheers.

rani is offline Administrator
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002