Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Solids vs formula

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User

Solids vs formula

My 6 month old is now able to eat a good small bowl of solids (approx. 4 tablespoons rice cereal + half jar of baby food) in one feeding. I've been mixing this with his regular formula (6oz), and after the solids, he finishes off the milk. I feel that now that he's able to eat more of the solids that I should reduce his formula and mix the rice cereal with water instead. Does this make any sense?

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

Until the age of 1 milk is still the most important for babies. If I were you I'd continue mixing his solids with formula instead of replacing it with water. Don't reduce milk intake.

TingTing is offline Registered User

Agree. I give my baby (9 mths old) one feed of congee in the morning and fruit in afternoon plus 4 feed of milk a day. Doctor also recommend the second feed of congee should after the age of 1. Otherwise, he will reduce the milk intake and the major nutrition should from milk before then.

Chy

Sorry, I think I didn't explain the situation properly. I don't mean to replace formula with solids, what I meant was whether to reduce the amount of formula used to mix with cereal or give the normal amount of what he's taking. So that means, same amount of formula + cereal, would that be too much. I still give at least 4 formula feeds a day. Thanks for the feedback!

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

As long as his total milk intake over the day is not reduced I guess you can experiment with solids since it is only 1 feed. I'm assuming you want to change the texture of the solids so he gets used to eating a thicker texture ?

Chy

I'm just concerned about over-feeding him since he'll be taking the same amounts of milk a day plus on top of that 2 feeds of solids which consists of a good small bowl of cereal-jar baby food that's all.