Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cloth Nappies

Asonia is offline Registered User

Cloth Nappies

Hi Everybody

Need advise.We had our twins two weeks ago - and they were much earlier than expected so was completely unprepared.

I have read the threads on cloth nappies and all the options that were talked about :
    chinese prefolds from the street market
    chinese prefolds from the wet market
    bumwear
    motherease one-size
    pocket diapers
    plastic covers
    disposable liners

and am still as clueless as before!
    Could somebody please advise me on where exactly one can get the cotton chinese nappies - and for approx what price?
    and what is a pocket diaper?
    and where/which street markets one should go to?
    and is there a huge choice ?... or can my helper go and buy the things from there? ( am not allowed to move around much at the mo.)
    and the plastic covers - are they also varied? so which ones are recommended? and where does one get those from?

I know some of the questions are quite daft - but I really do not know HK well - and certainly not the Kowloon side at all, nor have I ever stepped into a wet market so am completely ( and sadly) very ignorant of where to get what from.

Please help. Our babies are due home form the hospital soonish.
    Thanks - Sonia

rani is offline Administrator

Congratulations on the twins!!!

Are you near Sham Shui Po? There's a street market as you exit the MTR station. There are loads of baby stalls, and you will find the nappy covers and chinese muslin nappies. I can't remember the price but it was less than $100 for a pack of 12.

Bambinio Mio also have Nappy starter packs.

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=112940

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Hi Rani

thanks for the reply
    I live at Cyberport. And like I said - do not know the island well - and def. do not know the Kowloon side. I have heard of the market you mentioned - but have never gone there.
    Is there a special area in this market for baby things - or does one just browse and hunt?

thanks
    Sonia

... and thank you very much for you wishes.

$:)

rani is offline Administrator

Sonia,

We're in Cyberport too! You can get the Nappies from any street market on HK side too. I actually bought some from the Towel shop next to Habibis on Wellington St. She may have covers too.

If you'd like to try the Bambino Mio nappies, let me know and I can drop them off on my way home.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

gidget is offline Registered User

Hi Asonia,

I am using cloth nappies, but only AIOs and pockets, not prefolds or flats.

I have bought the Chinese muslin nappies from the markets though, and use them as 'spit cloths'. I got mine from the markets in Wanchai, they were about $30 for a dozen. I imagine if your helper looked around the Graham and Peel St markets in central, which are similar but closer to you, she would find some there too.

I do not know about all of the options you mentioned, but will fill you in on what I know so far. My son is only 5 weeks, so I am no expert!
    you will find that you mostly need to buy on line, there is barely anything available in the stores in cloth, apart from terry and muslin flats.

AIO, stands for All In One. This cloth nappy is closest to a disposable nappy, for ease of use, as it has the cover, booster and liners all sewn together in one piece, so you just put in on like a disposable, with no additional cover etc needed. Usually they secure with velcro or snaps.

Pocket Nappys are similar except that the the booster comes out {the 'filling' part in the middle that absorbs.} this makes them a tiny bit more time consuming than AIOs, but it means you can cooose what you boost you nappy with {you might choose to put more inside for a heavy wetter or over night.}
    It also means that they dry much more quickly as the peices are dried seperately.
    This is a big bonus for me as I have no outside drying space, and try to avoid the dryer as much as possible.

I reccommend that you look at the local Hong Kong / Macau sites that sell cloth nappies. they are:
    doubibou.com
    nappypooh.com
    They sell AIOs, pockets and covers and also have a lot of information regarding how to use and wash them etc.
    I also suggest that you buy a few different brands to start of with so you can see what suits you best.

If your twins came early I imagine they are quite small so prefold with a cover are probably what you should start off with, as the other styles I have talked about may be too big yet to fit.

It's really confusing to start off with I agree, but it soon all makes sense I promise!

Last edited by rani; 11-02-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Hey Gidget,

thanks for the help.
    yes - our little ones are tad little right now - so they may swim in the regular nappies .

Will have to - as you say - try a bunch of diff. brands and styles.... starting with the ones that Rani mentioned.

I like the idea of the AIO type with the seperate filler - and if these can last for a bit , then I s'pose they would really be value for money as well, yes?

Any idea on how many I would need per baby per day - approximately?

Kimmi is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani
    Congratulations on the twins!!!

Are you near Sham Shui Po? There's a street market as you exit the MTR station. There are loads of baby stalls, and you will find the nappy covers and chinese muslin nappies. I can't remember the price but it was less than $100 for a pack of 12.

Bambinio Mio also have Nappy starter packs.

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=112940
    Rani
    Is this market open on Saturdays?, what other items can I purchase there,Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast