Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need advice please!

anne01 is offline Registered User

Need advice please!

Hello

I have been in HK 3 months and have realised I am pregnant! Help! This is my second pregnancy - have 18month old - so I'm not too worried about the pregnancy but I have no idea how the medical system in HK works. I am used to the good old national health in the UK!

What do I need to do? (It is early days so far - only 4 weeks, I think - but things are only going to get bigger) We have medical insurance through hubby's job but I have no idea where/which doctor to see. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

noella is offline Registered User

Hello, gosh this takes me back I posted the exact same question about 16 months ago and now have an 8 month old daughter!!! I got some great advice it may be worth doing a search on my name if possible for my post. I can tell you what I did. I went to the OB GYN Dr Ghosh who was recommended to me by my GP, everyone has their own opinions on Ob Gyns here but coming from the UK I had never used one before and I found him absolutely fine. All my prenatal care was with him and he delivered my daughter. I was actually suprised how easy it was. I suppose your options depend on where you live, where you may want to deliver etc etc. I wish you luck!

Polly is offline Registered User

Do you have insurance or will you be using the public system? Our insurance doesn't cover maternity so I'm using the public system, which so far has been a positive experience. I'm just 14 weeks pregnant so have a long way to go yet.

anne01 is offline Registered User

Thanks Noella and Polly,

It is good to know I am not alone in feeling a bit out of my depth! I'll look into the OBS you suggest (I didn't even know the correct term for a baby doctor. How thick am I!!!) We do have maternity insurance, I think. Better check our policy. If not, it is good to know the public system is ok. Are you going to a doctor in Mid levels Polly? Who are they? Are they good? The GP I've used when my daughter had a cough did not speak great English. Can you recommend one in Mid Levels?

Thanks for the advice.

mergilla is offline Registered User

Hi Anne01,

Congrats on your pregnancy! Dr Dawkins is from Australia and obviously you will have no problems conversing with him in english. Dr Dawkins is located in Central in Jardine House level 7 number: 27154577. I went to see Dr Dawkins when I was 7 weeks pregnant and he confirmed my pregnancy via internal ultra sound. He has has a 3D/4D machine so you get amazing pictures and he will also record the ultra sound on a DVD for you.

Another Doctor I would also recommend is Dr Patrick Chan. He is also located in Central in Lane Crawford house on Queen's road central, number25222500. I am currently with Dr Chan as Dr Dawkins will be on leave during the time i am scheduled to give birth. Dr Chan is very good and takes the time to explain all the little details to you. He is very re-assuring! And he also has the 3D/4D machine!

Good luck!

Maria :crib

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

Dr Dawkins is excellent, we are currently using him for all check ups. I too arrived here in HK 4 months ago to find out I was pregnant and also had my first child in UK. The system here is v different.

We have limited insurance cover up to a certain amout which will not cover all the costs so check with your insurance company.

What I find the most confusing is all the extras that no one tells you about when you first venture down the private route.

You obviously have to pay for all your ob appointments, on top of that you have the scans and blood tests to pay for. When you go into hospital you pay the ob for the delivery only, you have to have a pediatrician once baby is born who then takes over. The private hospitals do packages for the number of days your require. I recently found out though that this only kicks in once the baby is born, you have to pay for the delivery room seperatley. If you have an epidural then the anethetist is separate as well.

I think (but don't quote me) that if you find your ob/gyn they will then recommend a pediatrician and anethetist if you need one.

Once baby is born again there are conflicting methods, some people just use the doctors for their vaccinations and see a health visitor / midwife (ie someone like annerly midwives or in DB DB Babies) for check ups. Other people use a pediatrician. Personal choice.

Hope this helps if you have any further questions send me a message.

Polly is offline Registered User

Hi, I'm relying soley on the Public Health System for all my maternity related matters. My usual GP is Dr. Edmund Cheong of Quality Health Care in Princes Building (No. 25238166). He is a wonderful Doctor and has excellent English. They do have Western Doctors there if you prefer and they have obstetricians and pediatricians as well as all the other usual suspects.

Hope that helps.

tutor1 is offline Registered User

public

Quote Originally Posted by Polly
    Hi, I'm relying soley on the Public Health System for all my maternity related matters. My usual GP is Dr. Edmund Cheong of Quality Health Care in Princes Building (No. 25238166). He is a wonderful Doctor and has excellent English. They do have Western Doctors there if you prefer and they have obstetricians and pediatricians as well as all the other usual suspects.

Hope that helps.

Hi Polly

Just read your thread.

I wondered where you intend on having the baby - which hospital that is? You seem as though you're identical to me - I too am 14 weeks. I have just had a 12 week OSCAR scan but don't have another appt scheduled until 20 weeks, which makes me a bit uneasy. I've seen on other threads that most are visiting their doctor every 4 weeks.

Also, I haven't registered at the local maternity health care centres yet - the hospital gave me a list and quite frankly, I'm not sure what they are for. What do they offer that I won't be getting at the hospital.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast