Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Stress.

usfret is offline Registered User

Stress.

I have to be away for one whole day this week (from 7am until 9pm) I have 2 main concerns:

1. How to manage babys feeds?
    I breastfeed and express everyday. 4 feeds direct breastfeeding. 2 x expressed. I express at 8:30 am (for the 10:30 feed) at 1:30pm (for the 4:30 feed) and 8:30 pm which usually ends up getting used the next day anyway. Should I consider using formula? What other options do I have? My baby has only ever had breastmilk. Am worried if he will take to formula or not.

2. Can I go for a whole day without expressing?
    Will it cause any problems/complications? Will it affect my milk supply later? I checked out the possibility of carrying a pump but I will be in a studio all day with a predominantly male production crew.

All these issues are really stressing me out. I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

joannek is offline Registered User
    how old is your baby? will you be able to bring your baby with you for the feeds or have the baby brought to you for the feeds?

i don't think not expressing your breasts when your breasts are getting used feeding 6 times a day. you will get engorged. try to get used to using a manual pump (i highly recommend Avent ISIS), and bring it with you. will you be able to express in the bathroom? or behind something in the studio making a wall for you to hide? as for keeping your milk, bring some of those blue ice pack and a styrofoam box, than you can keep your milk cold after expressing.

carang is offline Registered User
    if your boobs are anything like mine were, there's no way you'll be able to go all day without expressing!

mine would get engorged if i was 1 hour late expressing or feeding!

one day should not affect your milk supply too much, however, you will HAVE to do something to rid yourself of the milk in your boobs.

i'd try to express more for the next few days and then stock pile what you'll need for when your gone on that one day.

good luck!

Hi Joanne/Cara,

Baby is 7 months old. I considered the option of having baby drop by but it takes more than an hour to reach the studio by taxi (it's in Sai Kung) and not very accessible/easy to locate.

I have been using the medela Harmony all these months so I am quite comfortable with using a manual pump it's just finding a discreet place to express.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I was worried about the engorgement and leaking. I'll take the pump along with me. Even if I cannot bring the milk back perhaps I can express enough to relieve any discomfort. Cara, I doubt I'll be able to stock pile so much milk in the next 2 days. The milk I express ends up getting used the same day itself. Which brings me back to my first question - should I try giving baby formula for just that day? I could express enough for about 2 feeds but what about the rest of the feeds? He has 3 x solid meals a day.
    Last edited by usfret; 11-06-2006 at 09:31 PM.

i would try to pile up and let her drink expressed bm. here is how it might work:

assuming that your baby is drinking 6oz per meal 6 times a day (you said 4 feeds & 2 expressed), assuming that you still have 6 days to go?

starting tomorrow, everytime you express, you express one more oz, everytime after you nurse her, you express one more oz (which is like 1/2 oz - 15ml from each breast, which is not too much), but the end of tomorrow, you should already have 1 feed (6 or 7 oz, cos you express 3 times?) by the end of 6 days, there you have your 6 feeds or 7 feeds.

on the day of your work, pls set a alarm clock to remind yourself to express (probably every 3 hours?) cos when you're working or when a lot is going on, you will forget to express. and when you express when you feel engorged, it might be too late already (i'm speaking from experience).

if you still decide to give her formula instead, do let her try some before that day, so you're sure she's OK with it. and while you're letting her try the formula, pls maintain your supply by expressing the same amt your giving her.

good luck!

sorry, i missed that you say you have only 2 days to go. why don't you try to express 3 oz every time after you feed. let's see... that's 7 times a day x 3oz x 2 days = 35oz. that's like 1.5 oz from each breast. do u think you can do it?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you don’t want to give formula to your baby (it is a highly processed food after all) you could manage just one day by giving a little more solids and other drinks – maybe water or juice instead.

Try to think of your breasts in the same way you think of your bladder. If your bladder was full you wouldn’t think twice about excusing yourself and emptying it. So if your breasts become full, do the same thing – excuse yourself and empty them.

Allowing your breasts to stay full is asking for problems. After seven months of breastfeeding, staying full will not affect your overall milk supply too much but you are much more likely to get plugged ducts and possible mastitis. So whenever you start to feel uncomfortable do something about it.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Joanne,

Don't know if I can manage to express that much. But I'll give it a shot.

Sarah,

So if I can manage to keep aside between 10-12oz (around 3 feeds) and just increase the solids and top up with juice/soup (after the solid meal) for that day it should be okay, right? I still haven't bought any formula. Was going to buy it today but if he could go without some milk for just that day without any harm done then definitely I would prefer that.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone. Feeling less worried now so hopefully I can concentrate on my work.