Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Drinks very little water...only formula

nanzbier is offline Registered User

Drinks very little water...only formula

My 15 month old will only drink formula and breastmilk...and barely drinks any water except while she's eating. If I give her water any other time, she will refuse or drink very little. IF I offer her formula, she will gulp it all down. I've tried putting in apple juice or pear juice but she refuses it more than water. I've also tried diluting formula in the water but she will also refuse it. So my question is is it ok that she only drinks formula and very little water? She seems pretty hydrated. She can drink approximately 90 ml of water and 300 ml of formula on top of my breastmilk (which I barely have left).

joannek is offline Registered User
    my ped said that baby should drink 1 oz of water per month, even when i was breastfeeding. i started giving my baby water when she was 4 mths old (maybe an oz or 2 a day cos she was drinking a lot of bm). i tried giving her 5 oz/day when she was 6mths & starting solid. i was lucky that she likes to drink water.

as for your child, i heard that they should be down to 2 cups (16oz) of milk (be it formula/fresh milk/bm) a day. plus other liquid of 2-3 cups (ie 16-24oz). i think the key is make sure yours drink that much liquid a day. do you give milk in a bottle? or a cup? if she isn't drinking from a cup yet, maybe you can bring her to choose her "big girl" cup and let her choose her own drink. there are tons of cups in the market - sippy (non-spill, spill) or straw type, or even a grown up plastic cup with handle.

my daughter wouldn't drink anything else in a bottle besides milk. so i give everything else in a cup since she was 6mths. before 18mths, my daughter didn't like anything else other than water & milk too. so not all kids like juice.

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    Wow.....she is drinking way less than she should in that case. She is drinking out of a sippy cup as she never accepted a bottle. Urgh....how do i get her to drink more water and less formula?

shahirakk is offline Registered User
    I have a 14 month old who is drinking 20 oz milk a day approx / sometimes more. I understand 20 ounces is the max but he doesnt like water. He does take some juice but not much. I have noticed he will drink water some days and not much another day and worry about dehydration. So, I try to give him watery fruit like watermelon, orange etc which he likes. Also, notice he likes to drink whatever mummy is drinking from an adult glass so I let him sip water/ juice in this way - It's not ideal but I keep offering and some days it works! I do think open cups work better if you have a bit of patience. Also if you are bfeeding your child will be getting water in that way
    Shahira KK

mocha is offline Registered User
    shahirakk,

just wonder why 20 ounces is the max? my son is 1.5yr but he is drinking at least 24 oz per day...