Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

C-Section, Drugs and Breastfeeding

leekevp is offline Registered User
    Tuen Mun

C-Section, Drugs and Breastfeeding

I've just gotten home after my c-section. The hospital gave me Dologesic tablets to take for the post-c pain. have just looked them up on the internet and EVERY site i've been to says DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING. in a mild panic at the moment as i have been taking them for 24 hours! maybe longer as i think these are what they gave me in hospital even though my chart said that I was exclusively breastfeeding.

Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or thoughts. I am calling the hospital tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves. very pissed off at the moment. what else can i take for pain??

SyL is offline Registered User
    Sheung Wan
    I trusted the medical staff and didn't bother to double check on the medication. I took the same painkillers after my c-section and I was breastfeeding! I only took them twice daily.

My baby is close to 3 weeks, healthy and going through diapers like crazy!

Congratulations on your newborn.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Almost every mother that has a c-section is given Dologesic as a pain killer. It is a very common drug and compatible with breastfeeding. Indeed very few drugs aren’t suitable when you are breastfeeding and there is almost always an alternative if the one given you isn’t suitable.

Almost every drug on the internet has the following line about the drug and beastfeeding.
    “This drug may pass into breast milk and could have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Therefore, breast-feeding is not recommended while using this drug. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.”

The reason for this is because the drug companies want to protect themselves from law suits – not because the drug is dangerous while breastfeeding. The best book to look drug information up in is Medications in Mothers’ Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale. He explains exactly what medical information is known about the drug and gives a list of references.

Dologrstic is made from two drugs, Acetaminophen and Phenyltoloxamine.

I can only find Acetaminophen in my copy of the book (but my edition is the 2002 edition – I’m waiting for the 2006 edition to be delivered.)

Acetaminophen has a Lactation Risk of L1 – Safest.
    Drug which has been taken by a large number of breastfeeding mothers without any observed increase in adverse effects in the infant. Controlled studies in breastfeeding women fail to demonstrate a risk to the infant and the possibility of harm to the breastfeeding infant is remote, or the product is not orally bioavailable in an infant.

Hope this helps,

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i too was given them even though i was bf... relax! you have enough to worry about, why add something else to the list unnecessarily?