Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Working moms & breast pumps

acpurples is offline Registered User

Unhappy Working moms & breast pumps

Have been bf my July baby girl and just started back at work this week. Managed to use my Medela Mini Electric to express milk twice while at work. However, it takes a very lengthy messaging session while pumping to stimulate "let down" effect. Today, through 30 min of continuous trying and was unable to stimulat at all, managed only less than 2 oz. Any suggestion to help stimulation? Or would other pumps be recommended? Saw lots of recommendation on the Avent ISIS hand pump, would it help?

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I used the Medula Mini Electric pump also, are yiou using one or two. I had problem too when I first start using only one. But after I bought the second one and use it as a double pump, it work perfectly. I could have good 8oz in 10 mins 5 times per day. May be you could try.
    Have no experience with Avent.

Bear Lau:

kashismum is offline Registered User

Used both the mini Medela and the Avent Isis-often at the same time.
    If let-down is slow, try looking at a photo of your baby or just visualising him/her sucking. Imagine the milk flowing and, most of all, try to relax. I found that if I got anxious - especially because my boss would be monitoring the length of my disappearances- it was worse.
    Having said all that, a colleague had the Medela Symphony and she was all done on both sides in less than 15 minutes. I will definitely be investing in that one for number two.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

A friend lent me her Medela Pump-in-Style. Done on both sides in 15 mins. There's even a cooler space in the bag to help you transport the milk home. Also, I managed to find a way to prop the bottles on my desk at work and free both my hands. This way, I could still work the computer at the same time (door to my room closed and all shades drawn, of course!). I uploaded onto the computer a short video of our baby and would watch it while I pump or would just go through an online album of the baby. This has helped me with the milk letdown. Good luck!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

You can encourage the let-down reflex artificially, by looking at your baby (or thinking about her), or by having a piece of her clothing next to you.

• Apply a warm wet cloth to your breasts.
    • Massage the breasts in small circular motions around the perimeter of the breast.
    • Gently stroke your breasts with your fingertips in a downward motion toward the nipple
    • Lean forward and gently shake the breasts.
    • Gently roll the nipple between your finger and thumb.

One hand expression technique is called the Marmet Technique, http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    This is useful because it helps the let-down and so you get more milk.

(Please note that the diagram of the breast anatomy is out of date. Recent research has discovered that the milk reservoirs under the areola (the dark coloured part of the breast near the nipple) do not exist. The method, however, still works.)

Some mothers have found that the pumps are not good at getting the let-down to happen and so they use hand expression until the let-down and then swap to pumping. You can also use the times at the end of the Marmet Technique, including the massage, stroke and shake but instead of doing the hand expression use the pump.

Many mothers find that they feel fullest in morning. One trick is to feed on one side and pump the other side. If you can actually manage to pump the other side while the baby is feeding the baby will naturally make the let-down for you but this requires the baby's co-operation and often they move about too much.

The other thing is to keep trying. You will probably get more milk if you pump for 10 minutes every hour than if you pump for 30 minutes once every three hours. So if it is convenient keep pumping in short bursts rather than in marathons.

The following web page from the LLLI web site gives information about working and breastfeeding, http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

mocha is offline Registered User

i vote avent manual, medela mini is too noisy and slow.. i really could not bear

acpurples is offline Registered User

Thank you all for your help. The info is very helpful. Will probably have to invest in a second pump. Any comment on the new Medela mini Symphony?

mocha is offline Registered User

I think Avent ISIS hand pump would be the best, as it is so quiet and easy to use. i take 2, sometimes 3 if i have ot meeting, Avent pumps everyday to the office. It normally takes me 10 mins for 8-10oz..so i like it so much...

and i think the Avent ISIS hand pump would help to shorten your let-down, as the pumping frequency is controlled by yourself..