Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dr. Alexander Doo, The Women's Clinic

greatimp is offline Registered User

Dr. Alexander Doo, The Women's Clinic

Has anyone experienced Dr. Doo before?

I am currently seeing him and he has a lovely manner, but I feel very awkward asking about his stance when it comes to natural childbirth as opposed to C-section. Does anyone know his rating?

MontseKim is offline Registered User
    He delivered my baby this September and he was awesome. He knew that I prefered to deliver vaginally with as little pain meds as possible and he really helped make that happen. He will do what is best medically (of course!) but eh really tries to make the delivery all happen in the way you want it to. He is an great doctor and I woudl highly recommend him.

sabineHK is offline Registered User

Natural birth - C-Section

Hello,
    Dr Doo delivered both of my kids (just turned 2 and the other one 3).
    The first delivery was a 17 hour struggle. I wasn't allowed to move around because the baby had to be monitored due to nyconium when my water broke. That was really hard because the progress was extremly slow.
    I had explained that I am very keen to try just gas & air and wasn't bothered with any other offers etc.
    After 12 hours Dr. Doo started to talk about a C-section. I still felt ok and the baby's heart rate etc was absolutely fine, so we declined. We had a few discussions in the next hours and my husband helped me a lot to convince Dr. Doo that we really really wanted to finish that as a natural birth especially after so many hours. The last part was extremely hard. I had very little energy power left to push, but we finally did it. My son was born healthy.

The second birth was the complete opposite. My waters broke at home and I agreed to meet Dr. Doo at the hospital 2 hours later. He checked and remarked that he would be back in 4 hours when there should be some progress. I walked around all the time and could feel that this birth would be a much faster one. After 3 hours the midwife was shouting at me not to push and to wait for the doctor. He just made it in time to deliver my little daughter.

I would also recommend Dr. Doo as he is a great doctor. Make it clear to him before the big day what exactly you like / dislike etc and he will help you to get it done as long as you and the baby are not in trouble.

Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to discuss this a bit more.

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    Which hospital did you deliver the baby at with Dr Doo? Does it have to be the Matilda?
    Also, how much is the doctor's fee for the actual delivery? I am also currently seeing Dr Doo and he is very professional, but his charges are doubled that of my other pregnant friends, so am not sure whether the difference in price is really necessary.

sabineHK is offline Registered User
    Both of my kids were born in the Matilda. That wasn't my choice at first. But then my son was born in the middle of SARS and it appeared to be a good + safe option. I think Dr. Doo also does deliveries in the Adventis.

I had packages for both of my kids - all antenatal care + birth + checks afterwards. This will reduce the total price a lot.

Hi MontseKim and sabineHK, thanks for your feedback (I pm-ed you, sabineHK). I did have a good feeling about Dr. Doo right from the beginning but just wanted to do a bit more background research. I do believe that he is very ethical when it comes to his practise.

I have heard of stories of doctors who would instigate C-sections because of the obvious extra renumerations to both their private practise and the hospital! Is this true?

Bubbly, yes The Women's Clinic is definitely on the high end side. I guess you get the little niceties that comes with it... a doctor with a wonderful disposition, pleasant and proffesional nurses (they are all so lovely, helpful and motherly), comfortable environment, high-tech scanning machines (my girlfriends back home couldn't believe that I could see the baby move at 9 weeks, with aid of the 4D scanner).

But at the end of the day, mothers the world over have been giving birth to perfect babies without so much as a couple of ultra-sounds throughout the pregnancy. Less pricey doctors out there will provide just as good care of you and baby I'm sure.

My friend's helper gave birth to a perfectly beautiful, healthy baby girl at Queen Mary's for HK$100, would you believe that?!! HK has fantastic public healthcare, I tell you!

I guess when I finally decided that I was ready for kids, I wanted absolute comfort and convenience. Not that I'm a princess or rich, but planning your next one in advance can really aid this. We got this maternity insurance coverage with a UK insurance company called InterGlobal. They cover all doctors visits, medication, complications during pregnancy (I had to do a D&C for my first miscarriage at Matilda), the birth and any complications from the birth.

The cost of giving birth can shoot from HK$40,000 (normal vaginal birth) to HK$100,000 if you need a C-section!! So a good insurance coverage is very important. Most of these insurance packages come with a 12-month 'waiting period', ie you need to get it 12 months before even TRYING. Very important or you will not be covered.

Btw, my experience at Matilda was IMPECCABLE. They made what could have been a very sad, hard, awful experience (the D&C for my 1st miscarriage) into a most gentle, nurturing and healing day. The place doesn't even smell like a hospital for good ness sakes! And the nurses were absolutely tip top. Dr. Doo did the procedure himself, it was so nice to see his familiar kindly face. Even the lunch afterwards was yummy. I'm definitely going to give birth there!

Bumblebzz is offline Registered User
    I was very pleased with Dr. Doo.

High blood pressure sent me to the Matilda hospital 3 wks prematurely, and Dr. Doo was calm & explained everything to me & my very nervous husband!

He even let me chose the music I wanted to hear during my emergency c-section :)

All went well, and his follow-ups with me, including his bedside manner was also fantastic. I would definately choose him again.

Don't be timid talking to your doctor about anything. You want to be as informed as possible...ask him lots of questions etc. Especially where he stands on certain issues that you may find important...like natural child birth etc.

During conversations when I first met him, I found him to be totally open to giving the mother what she feels is best , without any judgement or pressure one way or the other. Made me feel very at ease.

Anyway, I'm now the proud mommy of a 12 wks old boy! :crib

Good luck to you

You are absolutely right that we should not be afraid to ask even probing questions, Bumblebzz. I guess we are dealing with matters very close to our hearts here, as long as they are posed diplomatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast