Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When would /did you fly first time with your newborn baby?

mulk is offline Registered User

First baby: Flew HK-Europe and a few days later Europe-US at about 3 months of age

Second baby: Flew US-HK at 3 weeks

It's easier travelling with babies before they are mobile. We didn't have any major problems especially as I was breastfeeding. It gets a bit trickier once they are on the move---worst long haul flights for us were at about 12-15 months of age. We fly go back to the US every Christmas and summer so our kids are used to flying long haul. Shorter flights in Asia are no problem.

As for jet lag, you just have to deal with it. It's a bit easier on babies because they nap a lot.

asalles is offline Registered User

our daughter was 6 weeks old and we flew Miami to Italy. I also recommend to have the baby "sucking" during take off and landing. also, dress the baby super warm, since it can feel like its below freezing on some planes... I found that it was easier to travel when they are younger. (Since you dont have to "entertain " as much...) Good luck!!!!

andyNZ is offline Registered User

we flew from New Zealand to Germany when our son was 4 months old. That added up to around 30 travel time. It was OK since he slept quite a bit.
    I would also advise to feed strategically when the plane is starting and landing to ease the pressure on babies ears. Mind: don't start when the plane is positioned on the runway, but start when it is taking off. Sometimes planes take forever to get into the air and your baby might have drank up all the milk.

yes, babies do have jetlag, so you will have some company with yours. Howeve, our baby adjusted much faster then the rest of us. just get a routine going and expose her to a lot of light during daytime.

Don't worry. we flewn quite a bit since then and things were quite easy at the beginning it is getting much tricky now as our baby is older, sleeps less and wants move around all the time.

Good luck

daisy is offline Registered User

i took my 3 weeks old baby to philippines, he is not a crying baby so i guess he did not react to the air pressure. people ask if he is breastfeeding or awake on tako off and landing, but he is up. (its like older kids need to chew on gum for the air pressure
    immigration needs birth certificate, and his sticker (status sticker in the passport) but not critical, i get away with it.. we are going back again for xmass

tutor1 is offline Registered User

question re citizenship

I have a question for the Australian and British mothers on this board.

I'm British and my SO is Australian. I have Australian citizenship but have not lived in Britain since immigrating at birth.

I wonder what do I need to do to gain citizenship for my baby once it arrives (or should I start arranging this before the due date). I would like to get both British and Australian, if possible.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Tutor1

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi tutor1, I would suggest contacting the British consulate in HK, they are very helpful and answer questions very quickly.

Were you born in the UK? Do you hold a British passport? If so then your child should automatically get British citizenship regardless of where they are born and regardless of your SO nationality.

The problem comes if you are British by descent, for example, I am British but my parents were working abroad when I was born. Because my husband is not British and our son was born her in HK, he is not entitled to a British passport- very annoying, and rather unfair!

Once your baby is born you just need to apply for a British passport as you would apply for once yourself.

However if your child is not born in the UK, and they go on to marry a non British citizen, and their children are born outside the UK, their children will not be entitled to British citizenship!

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bekyboo44

The problem comes if you are British by descent, for example, I am British but my parents were working abroad when I was born. Because my husband is not British and our son was born her in HK, he is not entitled to a British passport- very annoying, and rather unfair!
    There was another GeoBaby Mom who had the same problem. I think it was her husband who was British by descent, (he was born here) and their son was born here too. They had a bit of trouble getting their son a British passport, but after appealing to the consulate they finally approved his application for citzenship.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

tutor1 is offline Registered User

Thanks.

Thanks very much.

I'll do that - I was born in Britain so maybe my child will be entitled to automatic citizenship. Great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast