Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When would /did you fly first time with your newborn baby?

sanny07 is offline Registered User

Question When would /did you fly first time with your newborn baby?

Hello All,

I would like to know whether you have any experience or knowledge on flying with a newborne baby.

1.) Starting from which age is it possible to fly?
    2.) Will a baby have jetlack?
    3.) Will a baby have a problem to adobt to new climate?

Thx for your reply

Sanny

gidget is offline Registered User

Hi Sanny,

We'll be flying to Australia with our son for Christmas this year. He will be 10 weeks old.
    According to the information I have it is possible for a new born to fly as young as 2 weeks old providing both mother and baby are well.
    I think it would be wise to check with your doctor / pedeatrician first if planning on flying very young however. I know that I would not have felt up to it when he was that age!

Depending on your nationality, you may find getting documents in order to travel will be your determining factor. It will take us every bit of the 2 1/2 months from his birth to when we fly to get the following processed for our son, so he can fly to another country:
    Hong Kong birth certificate
    Australian citizenship
    Photos for passport to meet specifications
    Australian passport
    Hong Kong visa

I will leave it to those who have experience to comment on the jet lag and climate changes parts of your question.
    Happy travels.

Last edited by gidget; 11-09-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Zen
    Zen is offline Registered User

I flew from Tokyo to Hong Kong when my baby turned 2 months old.
    The flight was about 4 or 5 hours.
    She didnt sleep much, so I had to keep amusing her, in addition to the usual feeding and changing.
    The distance was too short for jet lag.
    It was cold in Tokyo and hot in Hong Kong. She sweated a lot in HK.
    No other discernable adjustment problems.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My first baby was born in Hong Kong in June and when she was seven weeks old I travelled to England with her. I didn’t notice that she had jet lag on the trip over to England as she was still waking every three to four hours day and night at that stage. She was 12 weeks old when we returned to Hong Kong. We travelled on Gulf Air and the flight, with changes, took 23 hours with six take offs and six landings! I was advised to feed both taking off and landing so we spent most of that 23 hours feeding. Once back in Hong Kong we both slept for ages and the only thing that happened was my periods returned a couple of weeks later. (I later found out this is common when your baby goes more than six hours without a feed – even if it is the only time she does it.) The English summer was much cooler than the Hong Kong one but she adjusted fine except for one windy walk where she cried because she was cold but I put her inside my coat and she was fine after that.

My third child was born in England and we flew to Hong Kong when he was 18 days old. I had to travel to Liverpool to get his passport as waiting for a postal application would have taken weeks longer. I remember on the flight the women in the next seat to me had a 12 day old. I remember being worried about travelling with such a young baby so I contacted Cathay Pacific to ask if they had any guidelines. I was told that a healthy full-term new-born can fly from being 24 hours but that they don’t recommend a new mother to fly for at least two weeks because of the risk of postpartum haemorrhage. I found flying with such a young baby easier than when they are older. All they do is feed and sleep – same as if they are at home. So it really just depends on the mother's comfort at feeding and coping in public.

I have four children and have flown with babies of just about all ages. I found toddlers to be the hardest to fly with. They aren’t use to sitting still for such long periods and take-off, landing and turbulence can be trying when they need to wear their seat belts and not move around. I usually ask for a child seat belt so they can sit on my knee even if they have their own seat, as it is nice to be able have both choices open to me depending on how the child is behaving at the time. Jet lag is much more of an issue in a toddler too.

The only thing I noticed with young babies is that the time that they poo is affected by jet lag. Quite early on my babies started to poo in the daytime and not the middle of the night. But with jet lag they would poo in the middle of the night. And somehow a baby needs to be awake to poo – which meant I was awake too.

Best wishes with your travels,
    Barb

MickeyMom is offline Registered User

My son was 2 months old when we first took him to China. It took a while to get his birth certifcate and passport sorted in our home country. I also took him to his pedia before flying (just to get clearance), I also gave birth via c-section so was not advised until after i healed and had less risk for internal hemorrhage.

blediting is offline Registered User
    1.) Starting from which age is it possible to fly?
    My Ob told me it was safe for the baby to fly almost immediately HOWEVER it was not safe for a Mother to fly until 6 weeks after the birth. So, we waited until our son was 6 weeks old to fly from Australia to Hong Kong.

2.) Will a baby have jetlack?
    For us, travelling between Western Australia & Hong Kong there is no time difference so our son did not experience jet lag. At this age he just slept the whole way - he was just fantastic - I made sure I fed him on ascent and descent to alleviate the pressure on his ears. I put him in the bassinet to sleep the whole way (taking him out for a feed or two) and I slept while he slept. If you travel between countries with a time difference it is likely that your baby WILL have jetlag - but when you get to your destination just make sure you keep your baby to their normal routine and within 7 - 10 days your baby should be back on track with sleeping.

3.) Will a baby have a problem to adobt to new climate?
    I can only speak from my own experience - and our son did not notice any change at all at this age - I think new born babies are more easily adapatable to new situations than older babies. Even if your baby did experience some difficulty in adapting - I'm sure that after a week or two they would settle down into their new environment and be back to normal.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Am flying on Sunday with our four week old baby on a 12 hour flight, will let you know how it goes! Am a little apprehensive about the journey but have had so many people tell me that it is much eaiser flying with a tiny baby than an older baby- am trying to take comfort in this! Our baby still has no set night/day sleeping pattern really so not too worried about jet lag.

Sara is offline Registered User

We had our baby overseas and just came back to Hong Kong with our 4 weeks and 4 days old baby. Her ped and my gyno gave us the clearance to fly earlier that day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast