Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can expats choose which Gov. Hos?

godfear is offline Registered User

Can expats choose which Gov. Hos?

My wife and I will have a baby in Feb 2007. We are planning on having the baby at either Prince of Whales or Queen Mary. However, I was recently told that you must have the baby at the hospital in which district you live. Is this the case for expats too?

sabineHK is offline Registered User
    I have never heard that there is any restriction about the hospitals. When I was pregnant with my son I also went to the Prince of Wales for the check-ups etc (I live in Clearwaterbay). There was no problem with that.
    I believe as long as your wife has the check-ups in the same hospital and has booked her delivery, it should be ok. Actually I remember that the Prince of Wales gave me that admission paper for induction + delivery in case I was more than 10 days overdue. I have never used it because the hospital closed during the SARS outbreak.

I heard from friends that they were surprised by the lack of privacy at the delivery ward. You might like to consider a private / semi-private option at the Prince of Wales...

Check ups

How do you do the check ups. They tell me to get an antenatal checkup at a clinic near where we live. Then they say they need a recommendation from the clinic for the hospital to accept us. Then the clinic tells us we can only go to our local Hospital, which is not so good. Very frustrating... Thanks for the help...

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    I live in Kowloon and wanted to deliver in Tsan Yuk (it was a maternity hospital then more than 4 years ago). I took my private doctor's letter which basically just confirmed my pregnancy and registered at Tsan Yuk. By the time I delivered Tsan Yuk became an MCHC and my records were shifted to Queen Mary hospital where I delivered.

This time I decided to stay on kowloon side - the closest hospital to my area is United Christian hospital but I wasn't comfortable there. So once again I took my private doctor's letter confirming my pregnancy and went and registered at the hospital of my choice which is Queen Elizabeth in Jordan.

By recommendation they probably mean the letter from any doctor confirming the pregnancy ? You take the letter and your ID card and register at Tsan Yuk if you want to deliver at Queen Mary. Not sure which clinic you have to attend for Prince of Wales but you could directly register at the hospital which is what I did this time.

My wife and I just had out check up today, and I found out a bit about my above question. Apparently because of to many mainland women giving birth at PWH, they've changed their policies as to who they accept. The new policy is that you must live in the district. But many other hospitals, like Queen Mary, will accept from anywhere. So we've decided to deliver at QM. Thanks for all your help.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    QMH has a clear policy, (which you will see at the reception counter for the OB/GYn floor) that they only accept patients from Central, South and Wetsren districts of HK Island. They do take cases from other districtc if they are considered to be high risk.

carang is offline Registered User
    QMH also does delieveries from Discovery Bay, whether or not they are high risk

Actually the doctor we saw, to recommend us to the hospital, called QMH and confirmed we could go, then gave us the papers. We have an appointment Wednesday to get registered. Our Doc, told us QMH is one of the Hospitals that will accept from all over HK. Maybe the've changed their policy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast