Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

preparing toddler for hospital/operation

mumsy is offline Registered User

preparing toddler for hospital/operation

My 15mth old is due to have a major operation next year. I would like to know if any parents have had their babies/toddlers hospitalised before, and how to help them from being traumatised by the whole experience.

I am especially anxious since my son had a procedure last month and needed to stay 2 nights and he was definitely traumatised. He cried every time the doctor's/nurses approached, and even when they did routine checks such as weighing, temperature taking, blood pressure, stethscope. In addition, he would not sit in the hospital cot, and I could not even put him down to change his nappy or bathe him without him crying. This meant I had to hold him practically all day and stayed by his side 24/7. We also had a follow-up a month later and he cried the moment he saw the doctor/nurse so he definitely remembers.

With the operation he is expected to stay in hospital for 5-7 days and will be in Intensive Care Unit for the first 1-2 days. Parents are only allowed in for a short time in ICU, so I just don't know how he is going to cope when he wakes up by himself. Even when he is transfered back onto the ward, we may still not be able to hold him since he will be hooked up on machines.

Just want to know if there's anything I can do to make it easier on him. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

capital is offline Banned
    I haven't been through this myself, but I know that I would be a major pain to the nurses demanding to be by my child in ICU. I can see that they may not want you there when they are busy ding treatments to your child, but the rest of the time, what on earth is there a problem with having 1 family member in a chair by the bed. Your child will feel a lot better with you there, than with a bunch of stangers, especially when he is already so stressed. Depending on what tyoe of tubes/machines he is on after, and whether or not he is alowwed fluids, you may still be able to BF if the tubing is long enough. I responded to the other post first, so now I see why BF may be difficult. If he is allowed clear fluids, he should be able to BF, even though it is not clear per say.

I hope this link helps, it lists many articles about BF a sick child, including BF after surgery

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBinfantillness.html

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for your reply and the link. I should visit the LLL website more often - I found several helpful articles on BF pre- and post-operation, and in particular a few on heart surgery which is what my son will be having done so it's always a great comfort to read other experiences that have gone well.

Yes I agree it's terrible the policy they have in ICU. I heard about it from another mom who have been through it. I don't think she challenged them so I'm not really sure how strict/flexible they are but I will definitely raise it up with the doctor at the next check-up.