• Leaving baby with nanny while at work

6 13.64%
  • Others

2 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Poll: Parenting Challenges for Age 0-3

msmslau is offline Registered User

Poll: Parenting Challenges for Age 0-3

I would like to conduct a poll on parental challenges for ages 0-3. As a mom of a 16 mth old, I have my set of challenges which mighe be different from those of other moms. Nevetheless, knowing what other parents go through can help us feel we are not alone.

babyd0ll is offline Registered User
    I have a 7 seven month old. He is still sleeping with us as I find it easier to breastfeed so for me the biggest challenge is discipline. He's just started "testing us" If he doesn't get what he wants he screams. We are trying to be patient and using simple distraction techniques but of late I notice he especially does it at night - he will just scream really loudly and my immediate response is to quickly feed him. I am not sure if he is now associating screaming with being fed. It's really driving me crazy. I just want to go back to sleep myself and I know this is the easiest way to quiet him down (read: shut him up) but I don't want to send the wrong signal and have him make a habit of it.

Any one face a similar situation? How do you deal with it? Any other advice of how to deal with a curious and active 7 month old without squashing his enthusiasm?

Poppy is offline Registered User
    Do you use a dummy (retainer)? My daughter was similar when she was a baby - screeming for the breast a lot! We finally gave up and gave her a dummy to suck on and it worked perfectly - she just wanted to suck on something.

Before she could find the dummy herself and put it back it we used to have to go in and put the dummy back in her mouth during the night but that was better then half an hour of suckling (or more)

We weaned her off the dummy at 2 (she is 2yrs 2months now) - it was easy, just a few tantrums for a couple of days.

Hope this helps

xx

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I think that screaming is just a phase that your baby is going through. One of mine (I can’t even remember which one) used to do this. My approach, especially in the middle of the night, was to shut him up and go back to sleep.

I really don’t think you need to worry about giving in to a baby so young. There are so many things that we have to say no to at this age because of safety that he will never think that life is all his way.

As he goes older and can express himself more easily you will find he uses other ways instead of screaming to communicate with you.

Best wishes,
    Barb

msmslau is offline Registered User
    Wow, looks like sleep training and discipling are the top two challenges for pre-schoolers. Perhaps this survey will help us identify seminars that could address these two issues.

itemstrader is offline Banned
    My son is 22 months old and he likes to throw the things when he is not happy. Sometimes I get hurt especially when the things that he throw is hard, like robot toy, plastic plate etc. I punished him everytime he throws and he screamed and get noisy. Anybody that can help me to overcome this situation?

babyd0ll is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the suggestions all.
    Poppy, unfortunately I never used a retainer just didn't feel the need to as I never had a problem with him before.
    Barb, I totally agree with your parenting philosophy. What you wrote in an earlier post is so true -that we have moved from looking after the child to fitting the child into our lives. I cannot say that I don't feel stressed at times with the demands of parenting but when I focus on the joys then it doesn't seem at all a sacrifice or a nuisance but rather something to be cherished to the fullest, as it will pass all too soon.
    In any case I discovered that my baby was crying because he had tummy upset and too much gas. So I changed his nighttime diet from fruit with cereal to rice congee with vegetable and he has been sleeping soundly ever since. Still wakes up for his night feeds but there's no crying or screaming.
    Yes sleep training and discipline do seem the top challenges for most parents.