Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Baby Bjorn and Babies' bow legs

jools is offline Registered User

I agree with Barbwong. I bought a sling first, then a pouch and I prefer the sling. There is more to learn with the sling but I find it more versatile and I like the way I can adjust it.
    When they're older you can also use the sling to secure your child into a chair in a restaurant when they don't have a high chair which sounds a minor point, but you'd be surprised how often I have used it this way in Hong Kong.
    Happy baby wearing,

Jools

jaetee is offline Registered User

Thanks for the suggestions/advice. :)

I am worried about learning how to correctly use the slings - they seem really difficult to learn?

Which sling would you recommend for a beginner who has no one near her who has ever used a baby carrier?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I can’t understand why everyone is saying using a sling is hard to learn. I just put my baby in it and away we went – nothing could have been easier.

I was given an instructional video but I never watched it! That’s just the type of person I am – I never follow instructions until everything else hasn’t worked.

After I’d been using the sling for about 18 months a friend of mine asked if she could watch my video before she bought one for herself to help her decide which type to buy. So we watched it together. I realized that I really should have watched the video when I first got it as it had lots of little tips which made the sling even more comfortable.

I don’t think a sling is difficult to use – if you want to see how to use it why not visit one of the LLL leaders in Hong Kong or attend a meeting as they sell the mayawrap sling and willbe able to put you in touch with someone with experience of how to use it.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Dear jaetee,
    When I say you have to learn the skill of using a sling, it is not a difficult skill to learn. Believe me if I can do it anyone can. I taught myself how to use the sling using the DVD, that comes with it, and practise. I practised with a teddybear a few times just to get the hang of adjusting the sling, then in went the baby and I have never looked back.
    Yes it takes 'some' practise, but it's so worth it, and as Barbwong has pointed out LLL sell these slings and they will be more than willing to help you.

Jools

jaetee is offline Registered User

Thanks for the replies and advice - I will take a look at the website for Mayawrap. I was also considering Hotslings and Ergos, but no matter what will definitely try to be a baby wearer. :)

Thanks again. :)

rani is offline Administrator

Jools/Barb,

Which carrier did Dad prefer? My DH liked the Baby Bjorn. Not sure if he would use a sling.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Hi Rani,
    My husband didn't use the Baby Bjorn we had or the sling, I guess he's just not the baby wearing type.

Jools

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I got my sling when my third child was 18 months and my husband was very reluctant to use it. He was much happier to use the traditional Chinese “Mei Die” sling.

My husband was use to using the Chinese sling as he’d used one when he was a teenager to carry his little sister about. My mother-in-law told me that it was no problem carrying older babies with this sort of sling because your shoulders grow stronger as the child grows and you don’t notice it.

My problem with that sort of sling is that it separated but didn’t lift and my boobs looked really ugly. So when I was given the over the shoulder style sling I was much happier with it because I felt I looked more attractive in it.

When my youngest was born I put her in the sling and we went for a walk in it before we were even discharged from the hospital. The traditional Chinese sling can’t be used until the baby has firm neck control so suddenly my husband was happy to carry the baby in my sling.

As she grew older however my husband changed over to use the traditional sling and I carried on with the over the shoulder style. I’ve been told that men are better suited to carrying loads on their back whereas women are more suited to loads on their hips. And this is what my husband and I did because it was comfortable for us.

Barb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123