Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Baby Bjorn and Babies' bow legs

Sara is offline Registered User

Baby Bjorn and Babies' bow legs

My question might sound weird, but I'm really asking this out of ignorance/curiosity. Is carrying the baby in Baby Bjorn/any baby carrier make the baby have bow legs? I was carrying my little one in the Bjorn today, and overheard a lady on the bus telling her friend that she never put her baby in Bjorn as the baby would then have bow legs...

Thank-you for any input.

Sara.

jools is offline Registered User

I don't think that the baby bjorn would cause bowed legs, but I do know that research has shown that this style of carrier puts undue stress and pressure on the lower spine. In these carriers the baby's weight is entirely focussed on the small area of the lower back. This has been shown to cause lower back problems as the baby grows. That's why I stopped using mine.

Jools

HappyV is offline Registered User

OK, several problems here.
    Firstly, kids naturally have bowd legs until they start walking, which develops the muscles needed to hold the legs straighter.
    Whilst the Baby Bjorn type carriers do place pressure on the lower spine, if you'r enot using them for hours and hours each day, it;s probably not a problem. (Just like you're not meant to leave your kids asleep int he car seat or upright stroller........)
    Better in the baby bjorn than having them all bundled up and air deprived in those horrible maya wrap things that everyone seems to be using now.

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User

Your little one will grow out of it before you know. Mine became too heavy and the baby bjorn was just too snug for him at only 5 months. Again, you don't carry him in the carrier all the time and couldn't possibly for long periods, so really nothing to worry about. Also, my son seemed to have bow legs all along but now that he's 7 months and grown taller, his legs are much straighter.

capital is offline Banned

Babies legs appear bowed because of all the chubby fat, but they are not actually bowed. I cannot see how it would at all cause bowed legs. I have the baby bjorn and a Moby wrap. I agree with what others said, that it is not like you would have him in it for hours at a time, at least I never could, my back was not up to it. The wrap is much less starining on the back that the bjorn, especially as your baby gets bigger. This is becuase the baby is held closer to you. A wrap ceratinly does not deprive your child of air! With one wrap you can do many many different positions, cradle hold, BF if youwant, facing out, facing in, side hold, back carry. Very versatile. It takes a little pracitse to learn how to tie it, but like I siad it is worth it because it is a lot more comfortable!!

Sara is offline Registered User

Thank you, All. I feel much better now...

I'm very interested by this notion of being air deprived and bundled up in the Mayawrap. Firstly children have been carried in this form of sling for hundreds (if not thousands) of years as they are based on the slings used in South America and also similar to those used in Africa. I'm sure this many generations have not suffered from being too bundled up. How long has the Baby Bjorn style sling been in use?
    Secondly babies quite like being bundled up at first since this is similar to the womb position and therefore often has a very calming effect. The two children I have used the mayawrap for have been very calmed in the cradle carry position; this position also allows them to lay down rather than sit up ergo no pressure on their spine.
    Thirdly as for being as deprived the mayawrap is made from a fabric. I would like you to try holding a piece of fabric up to your face, can you still breath? I bet the answer is yes. And as someone pointed out to me recently it's probably better to breath through a piece of material in Hong Kong with all the pollution than not, just ask all those people who wear surgical masks in Central against poulltion.
    I agree that everyone should use the sling/baby carrier of their choice and I was merely pointing out that there have been some documented research about the Baby Bjorn. Unfortunately because of the difficulty of moving around in Hong Kong with babies they are often in a carrier for hours at a time.
    Just my opinion.
    Jools

Just a further thought: typical position of a new born in a Baby Bjorn style carrier is facing Mummy with legs dangling. Because the new born obviously can't support it's head then the neck support is pulled in tight bringing the bay's head very close to the Mummy. you could argue that there's not much air flow there. And in Hong Kong, due to the sunshine, the baby's head is also often covered in a muslin cloth again one could argue restricting air flow.

Contrast this with a new born in the Mayawrap where the baby is lying down with it's head facing upwards looking at Mummy (another side benefit giving mother and child eye to eye contact); you could argue that there is more air flow here and the baby has it's body completely supported.

We could discuss the merits of each style of carrier all day. What is important is that both mother and baby are comfortable. Research also shows that babies who are carried do really well and that is the bottom line, as parents we all want our children to thrive. I have used both style of carriers and having had experience of both I am a firm fan of the Mayawrap, but what is great is that we have choice.
    Jools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast