Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having a baby in HK

alvynl is offline Registered User

Having a baby in HK

Hi Everyone,

I'm a HK Permanent ID working in Canada. My wife is a dependent HKID holder too. And we are planning to have a baby in HK. What are the necessary steps we should take to have the baby born in HK. We still like the baby to have a Chinese citizenship.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Alvyn

carang is offline Registered User
    why would you come to HK to have the baby? i'd have it in canada. it won't make any difference to your child's nationality.

have you "earned" your permanent ID or were you born with it? if you earned it, your child may still not be eligible for a perm id card.

check with immig.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    This is complicated and I don't have all the answers; definitely check with immigration.
    Largely depends on whether you are ethnically Chinese. Does your permanent ID card have 3 stars? If yes, your baby is a Chinese national by virtue of his/her ethnicity. If not, you'll need to have been in HK within the last 3 years to keep your permanent residency.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    Hi Alvyn,
    One point I would like to clarify to you. Having a HK permanent residenship/HK born Chinese/HK permanent ID card holder doens't means that you have the Chinese citizenship(if you are talking about the Mainland China citizenship)
    Of course being a HK born Chinese you enjoy the right to work and live in China, but to get the citizenship there are some criteria you have to fulfill. Please check with immigartion for your baby eligibility for HK residenship.
    Back to giving birth in HK. Are you palnning to use private or government system ?
    If you are using private, it will be very easy, just ask your OB to give you a referral letter with all your wife medical history and choose a OB in HK after you get back. He/she will make the arrangment for you. Any idea how far along will your wife when you come back ? If it is very late at the pregnancy, you may want to talk to the HK OB before you come back so he can make the arrangment for you in advance.
    For government system it seems to be more complicated, you have to register with them beforhand or go in as an emergency case. There are many threads on this forum about giving birth in a govt. hospital. You may want to check.

Good Luck.
    Bear Lau:

alvynl is offline Registered User
    Hi Everyone,

I was born in HK and with three stars on my HKID. If I understand correctly, will my children be also eligibly given a HK permanent ID with three stars as well.

Thank you for all your insights.

Alvyn

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, but they don't have to be born in hk to get it... they should get it through you (descent) anyway

bbc mom is offline Registered User
    If the child is born out of HK, they may not get a permanent HKID.

My in-laws were both born in HK and hold permanent HKID cards. Three of their children applied before 1997 and were also granted permanent HKID cards. However the youngest only applied in 2002 and did not get 'permanent' stated on her ID card, instead she got the letter A meaning Right of Abode. She also didn't get the three stars.

I really don't know if there is a difference between holding a Permanent ID or a normal ID with Right of Abode. Also if you look on the Immigration website, the three stars actually indicates eligibility for HK Re-entry permit.

Best to double check directly with Immigration.

bbc mom is offline Registered User
    Forgot to mention above that all four children were born in the UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top