Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I have to throw away my breastmilk?

nikimom is offline Registered User

Do I have to throw away my breastmilk?

I had two hairy crabs last nite, and had diarhhea in the middle of the nite. I havent that milk and the milk I expressed this morning to my baby of 4 months. Can I still give that to her or should I throw that all away? PLEASE advice. THANKS

capital is offline Banned
    It is fine to use. If you had some food poisoning, that would not be passed into the milk. It is safe.

joannek is offline Registered User
    sorry, capital, but i would throw it away. why take the risk. whatever you eat goes into the milk?

yea, i'm worried, thats why i'm giving her the forzen milk for the time being. but just not sure when i can start giving her the fresh milk. not sure how long i should wait. have been expressing n dont know what to do with the milk

joannek is offline Registered User
    i know, feels terrible to have to throw away the milk, yet you cannot give it to your baby... you know what i used to do? i make hot chocolate with it & gave it to my hubby.... hee hee
    but i've never had food poisoning, it was only alcohol. i am not sure, but with alcohol i waited 12 hours. so maybe for food poisoning wait 16 hours ?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Within hours of a mother coming into contact of an illness her milk has the specific antibodies for that illness in her milk. Thus the BEST way to help your baby not get any illness that you have is to continue breastfeeding your baby.

It is true that minute amounts of anything in your blood system can transfer to your milk system (if the molecules are small enough to fit though the breast wall – or if those molecules haven’t bound to a protein, which will also make them too big to get through he breast wall.) However, the antibodies in the milk get to these and disable them before they can harm your baby.

The whole topic of immunobiology of human milk is very fasinating and, unfortunately, very complex. But if you are up to reading a book on the topic I recommend Immunobiology of Human Milk: How Breastfeeding Protects Babies by Lars Hanson, MD, PhD. After reading this book all I can say is “Still confused but at a higher level.”

But the bottom line is please don’t worry your milk is fine to use.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader and IBCLC

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you have a glass of wine with your dinner it will take about 90 minutes (1 ½ hours) for the alcohol to enter your milk supply and leave it again. There is no need to express milk during this time the alcohol will leave your milk supply as soon as there is less alcohol in your blood than in your milk.

Drinking alcohol does, however, tend to reduce your let-down so a baby is likely to drink less milk at a feed if you’ve been drinking. Research shows that babies drink less milk in the four hours after you’ve had a drink but drink more in the next 12 hours – thus after 16 hours the baby has had about the same amount.

Obviously this isn’t a problem if you are just having the occasional drink or even one a day with your dinner. There is, however, a potential problem if you are drink a lot or drinking often throughout the day. In these cases it is important to keep a check on the baby to make sure he is growing and developing well.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Thanks Sarah, I think I need to give her the milk that I expressed this morning then so that she gets the antibody. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast