Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Talking to a 3 year old

Grace Bellis is offline Registered User

Question Talking to a 3 year old

Trying to talk to my 3 years old daughter is challenging at times. She simply does not answer me. Even if she's not engaged into a play, she simply doesn't want to answer. I'm tempted to tell her that not answering someone is not an acceptable behaviour. If she continues to do that, she would be put to the naughty corner. Anyone has a better idea on handling this?

Grace

Sally123 is offline Registered User

I would say it is quite acceptable at this age! She is only 3......there are so many more interesting things happening around her at present that she is more interested in them. Also, her personality is only just developing. It will take time for her. This stage of development needs nurturing.......not naughty corners.........save them for naughty behaviors (hitting etc) if you must use them not for things like this that just annoy you.

jleong is offline Registered User

My son was like this till almost 4 years old. He never spoke about school, when asked - and we asked every day - and was very selective about what topics he answered to. We found it better to wait until he was in a mood to have a conversation, like just before bed, while travelling in a bus, taxi, etc. He's much better now. Another friend told me that when he was a child, he never answered his mum's questions about his day cos to him - it was finished and he'd moved on to the next thing. Give your child time - she's probably too busy to answer questions that probably are mundane to her.

Julie

loupou is offline Baby Guru

The other thing is maybe tell her its OK to say, "Mama, I don't feel like talking now".

Other thing is that if she's involved in doing something (like playing, or just staring at a piece of dust floating in the air) she might not hear you because she's so wrapped up in what she's doing. In that case, make eye contact, so she knows that you are speaking to her.

Grace Bellis is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone...guess I'll just need to learnt to be patient.

Grace