Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is my baby eating toooo much???

Blee is offline Registered User

Question Is my baby eating toooo much???

Hi moms,

My baby is now 10 months. It seems to me he is always eating (like every 2 or 3 hours).

At 730am he has around 7 oz formula.

At around 9:30am he takes another 4 to 5 oz formula before his nap.

At 11am he has rice cereal mixed with different vegetables and fruit

At 1:30pm he has another bottle of 5 to 6 oz before his afternoon nap
    (sometimes he skips this and have cheese or yoghurt instead)

At 3:30pm he has another bottle of around 6 oz

At 5:30pm he has his Chinese congee with vegetables + some fish or meat

At 8pm he has 7oz formula before he goes to sleep

Is that normal? I am just worried the way he is constantly eating something will turn into bad eating habits. His height and weight are right around the 50% range so he is not overweight or anything. Should I be worried or just let him continue like this?

msmslau is offline Registered User
    I think it is a blessing to have baby who loves to eat. I would be more worried if he does not. Given your feeding schedule and his weight, I guess he probably has good metabolism and needs the extra energy for him to roll and move around. I think so long he is not constipated and seems happy and healthy, I won't worry.

noella is offline Registered User
    I agree. All 3 of mine have been a real nightmare to feed! If he sleeps well and does not seem to be overweight and is happy let it be!

carang is offline Registered User
    i would suggest more helpings of solids by 10 months, try introducing some cereal and fruit for breakfast as well.

right now, all hes' having before 11 am is milk...he's at an age where he needs to start getting more calories from solids. by 12 months, children should be eating the same food as we do and roughly at the same times.

it is better for people to eat 5-6 small meals than 3 large ones, so it sounds like your child is well on his way to healthy eating habits, not bad ones!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Agree with Cara. At that age, my LO was - and still is - on 3 breastfeeds a day and 3 solid meals a day + snacks. Breakfast is cereal/porridge w/fruit; lunch + dinner consist of a protein+veg+ carb.
    I would experiment with a variety of foods so that your son does not get bored, gets all the nutrition he needs - increasingly from sources other than formula. I wouldn't worry about the quanitity unless there's some weight problem - as far as I know, babies don't overeat.

Blee is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for the tips.

Just one question on baby receipe.

My baby is now very happy with his Chinese meal in the evening, congee cooked with different types of vegetables + fish/meat.

I think he is a bit bored of his lunch, which is rice cereal mixed with fruit (usually apple/pear + sweet potato/potato/pumkin). I am thinking of moving this meal to be part of his breakfast, as some of you suggested I should give him more than just formula in the morning.

What else can I give him for lunch??? Is there such thing as pasta for babies? If I just give him bread and cheese, that wouldn't be enough for him?? Any suggestion on lunch receipe?

:crib

carang is offline Registered User
    just cook the pasta until it is very soft. you can even mix in a tomato sauce or a cheese sauce.

try to expand his dinners as well. he might be happy with congee, but you won't be if that's all he'll eat later on.

get yourself a book by anna karmel. she does loads of cookbooks for babies, toddlers and children.

good luck and be adventurous. now's the time!
    my son used to eat everything that we offered him. now he's one of the pickiest eaters i know...

joannek is offline Registered User
    there are tons of pasta variation you can give your child. but you might want to start out with rice pasta (cos he's already taken rice). you can get it in citysuper, oliver's or the new 360 (3rd fl of landmark). i just bought a packet of rice pasta, ribbon shape at 360. my daughter loves it. and then the peter rabbit tomato pasta sauce is natural & very light in taste, very suitable for babies. sold at citysuper & b2b.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast