Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mei Tai/ asain style baby carriers

capital is offline Banned

Mei Tai/ asain style baby carriers

Does anyone know where I could by a nei Tai/ Asian style baby carrier, and approximatly how much they are if you have bought one?

jools is offline Registered User

Have a look at nappypoo.com, I think they sell them. I'm not sure of the price.

Jools

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Go to a wet-market. I've seen them at the wet market in Choi Hung (2nd floor - where they sell baby clothes and stuff) for about HK$ 50 or HK$ 60. I remember seeing them in the market at Tai Wai as well.

capital is offline Banned

Oh No!! Are you kidding me? You can really buy one for 50 HK dollars? I just bought an Ellaroo Delux Mei Tai today for 90$ canadian (615 HK Dollars). My husband thought that was completely ridiculous and said you can buy them in HK for 50 HK dollars. (We will be in Hong Kong soon) I thought he was out to lunch because I had looked at several on line stores and the price I bought it at was comparable. Please tell me at that price the quality is terrible!

geiboyi is offline Registered User

NappyPooh sells them for $330 or $430 - depending on the fabric (cotton or silk brocade). There are only a few in stock, but she will take custom orders so you can choose the fabric you prefer. The wet market ones are functional but not very attractive. For quality, I think the wet market ones are fine (I have both) - it's just whether you want teddy bears on your carrier or not...

Don't worry Capital, I've seen the ones from the markets, the fabrics are gaudy designs at best and they are made from very thin material which would equal shoulder ache for you and not much support for your baby. You made the right decision, remember the old saying, 'You get what you pay for!'

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Hi Jools,

I kind of liked the one that I had from the wet-market w/ the teddy bears on it. (I did pass on the one w/ Betty Boop - but "de gustibus non disputandam est"...].

It provided plenty of support for me and my kids until they were up to almost 30 lbs (granted, I am big & strong). It also had a pocket on the front that I could fit my small wallet and Octopus card. It lasted through 2 kids. I loved it - but maybe that's also because I have such happy memories of it.

But Capital, don't get upset about what you bought. It's the going price in No. America & if you like it and if it wears well - that's what matters.

If you wince every time you find that "someone got it for less" when you live in HK, you'll suffer a lot. ;)

"You got if for how much??!!! Didn't you know you can go to Stanley/Fa Yuen Gai/ Sham Shui Po/Shenzhen/ Bangkok/ New York City... and buy it for Y [at least twice as cheap as whatever you bought it for]"

Dear loupou,
    Good for you; maybe I saw ones of a different quality. There's another saying 'One man's meat is another man's poison'-or in this case another women's.

I think it's great that there is so much choice out there for mothers (and fathers) who want to practise the art of baby wearing. You can choose from such a wide variety of styles of carriers and you are so right, they carry so many wonderful memories and that's what makes them so special.

Jools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast