Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Daytime naps

ninahudd is offline Registered User

Daytime naps

My little girl is 11 weeks old and already sleeps through the night (7 - 6) which is great. But in the day she will only sleep if you are holding her. She somehow knows as soon as she is put in the cot and wakes up. I don't mind holding her for a couple of hours or so while she sleeps but is this good for her? Are we getting her into bad habits or creating a clingy child?
    Any advice would be great.

spsmok is offline Registered User

That's exactly what happened to my daughter when she was a baby. The best she could do sleeping by herself in her cot was something like 14 mins. I ended up putting her on top of myself, chest to chest, for both of us to get some sleep. Then I gradually tried to slide her down onto my bed. I'm not sure if that's good for her, but that's about the only thing I could do after trying every other suggestion given.

carang is offline Registered User

why don't you try lying down on the bed beside her and then gradually over a week or so move her further aaway from you and eventually into her own cot?

might be worth a shot.

good luck!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

"I don't mind holding her for a couple of hours or so while she sleeps but is this good for her?"

How can holding you baby possibly be bad for her?

It may be incontinent for you but it can’t do any harm to your baby. She is safe in your arms and by the sound of it she knows this.

Babies have a much higher percentage of light sleep than adults do. This means that they often semi wake up while they are asleep. They will sleep but open their eyes and taking in the situation about every ten minutes. If the situation continues to give them comfort they will straight away go back to sleep, if not they will wake up.

Time will change this, as they get older that amount of light sleep decreases and then you will find it much easier to put your sleeping child down and know that she will stay asleep.

All my children were like this as little ones. I used to sit and watch TV with the first but with the others I managed to lie down with them and so get more sleep myself when I needed it. I fond a sling very useful too and would use it around the house if I needed to get things done. All my children grew out of this needy time (and yours will too).

Best wishes,
    Barb

kellyst is offline Registered User

my daughter was a very light sleeper a few months ago, also for her afternoon naps. i was at work and my helper used to hold her during her afternoon naps of 1-2 hrs, i was driven crazy, so worried that will become a 'habit' and she'll never learn to sleep on her own, that was 3-4mths ago. she's 15mths now, and can do 1.5-2hrs of sleep in her cot. we still hold her to sleep for the afternoon nap, but putting her down is not a problem anymore.
    lesson here: don't worry too much about it, they'll grow out of it.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Mine is almost 3 months now. He also wakes up everytime we put him down so we hold him for hours between feeds. I'd rather have to hold him than him not having enough sleep. I find that he drinks more milk when he has a good rest. These past few days I just lay him on my bed while I do my own work. My mom always says this is a time to enjoy. For when he grows older (especially boys), we'll no longer be needed.

joannek is offline Registered User

try using your night gown to wrap (i mean, a night gown that you have worn for at least one night). this used to work magic for my baby.

joannek is offline Registered User

i mean, to wrap her. i used to use one to put on the bed, tugged into the sides, and another one to cover her. she'd sleep really really well.