Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why solid intake reduce?

sharon_r_p is offline Registered User
    hi sarah,
    i have a few questions, sorry, but today i went to the doc with my baby and found out that she did not gain as much weight as she should have... she should weigh a kilo more!!!! i breast feed as often as she wants outside her meals...

i give her solid meals twice a day, as of tomorrow it will be 3 times a day(docs orders!) but lately (3 or 4 days) she does not even open her mouth to be fed with solids... she just keeps it locked shut!! she will eat maybe a quarter of what she should eat!

the doctor told me to keep breastfeeding her... i am confused! some people told me not to give her breastmilk untill night time so she id forced to eat solids???? what to do?

i was feeding her every 4 hours... maybe i should change to every 2 and alternate???
    confused and worried!!!

sharon

laichi is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah,
    Could you tell me the book name and author written by Miss Ford? Any other books you would recommend? My baby is 11 months old and currently refusing to take the amount of solids suggested by books. She refuses to take cereal but bread and a little veg and meat only. Thanks!

rani is offline Administrator
    Laichi,

The book by Gina Ford is called the Contented Baby Book. Have a read through this review written by Yvonne Heavyside http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby/baby-routines/
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    hi sharon,

is yr baby weight within the growth chart? don worry too much, so long as yr baby is happy n healthy. now i try to b easy with my girl, if she doesnt want to eat, then i stop feeding her. don want to stress her n myself. worried that she might hate meal time next time.

like u, so i continue to bf her now whenever she wants.

hopefully am doing the right thing for her.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I would like to make it clear that I do not recommend any of Gina Ford’s books on child care. The reason for this is that by following her regime is likely to have a very adverse effect on your breastfeeding.

Miss Ford’s goal in her books is to set up a routine that suits her lifestyle. (Please remember that Miss Ford is not a mother and so doesn’t understand the overwhelming love, that is often coupled with frustration, of looking after a child 24 hours a day, seven days a week.)

I, on the other hand, am trying to help mothers have a successful breastfeeding relationship with their babies. When there is a conflict between establishing a routine or continuing breastfeeding Miss Ford’s advice will allow to you to continue establishing your routine and my advice will allow you to continue breastfeeding.

A book I am happy to recommend (no conflicts with breastfeeding) on the topic is,
    MY CHILD WON’T EAT: How to Prevent and Solve the Problem
    by Carlos Gonzalez
    http://www.amazon.com/MY-CHILD-WON%C.../dp/0912500999

There is a book review of this book at
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr06p76.html

LLL-HK has a copy of this book in their Happy Valley library. Please contact Maggie Holmes on 2817-7475 or [email protected] if you are interested in borrowing the book.

(We now have a policy where we ask mothers to become members if they want to borrow from our library. Too many of our books have not been returned from non-members. We are a charity working on a very small budget and can not afford to keep replacing our books.)

Best wishes,
    SARAH

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Sharon,

Breast milk is quite a high calorie food. Usually the solids we offer the baby have far less calories than the breast milk does. So if you want your baby to increase in weight it may be that you will have more success with more breastfeeding.

Generally we introduce solids around the six month mark, although I know lots of babies who aren’t interested and start much later, maybe at the eight, nine or ten month mark.

The reason for starting solids is to introduce the baby to a different type of eating. Also as the baby grows breast milk may not have all the nutrients that a baby needs (there is no firm research on this as it is dependent on the mother’s nutritional level and so various from mother to mother).

People often worry about whether there is enough iron in the breast milk after six months. (It is very rare for a breastfed baby to have anemia unless the mother also has the problem – the solution is then to treat the mother and solve two problems in one!)

For this reason it is often advised to introduce meat as the second weaning food – meat also has more calories per bite than most other solids, which again will help with the weight gain.

Remember that weight gain is a very individual thing and it is very normal for there to be periods of rapid growth and periods of slow growth. Sometimes it is easy to forget this when looking at the growth curves. They have been made up of the weights of many babies averaged and this means that the plateaus of any one baby have been lost in the crowd.

Also look at the health of your child – is she happy and healthy but just small? Has she been ill in the last month? Illness causes babies to lose weight and so this could easily mean the baby doesn’t put on the expected amount of weight.

Do you have any allergies in your family? Often babies from allergic families don’t do well on solids until they are a little older. Some research shows that often the baby will refuse solids when it will have an adverse effect on them. (Most of the cases I’ve heard of when the baby refused solids until after 12 months was because of allergies – it is as if the baby know better than we do.)

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 12-13-2006 at 07:50 AM.

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah,

May i ask: So for the 1st yr, breastmilk should still be the main food for baby? when should we slowly wean or cut down the nos of feed? Is it after they reach 1 yr old?

Right now, i m still continuing breastfeeding my 7mos old baby whenever she needs. Even after her solid meal, i will still check if she still need more milk, or after breastmilk, i will feed her solid after a short rest.

I just hope i have enough milk supply for my baby :)

cheers,

carang is offline Registered User
    so long as you keep bf you will have enough milk.. it's demand that causes the supply in the case of breast feeding...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast