Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: What time does your 9-12 month old sleep at night?

96. This poll is closed
  • before 7pm

9 9.38%
  • btw 7-8pm

42 43.75%
  • btw 8-9pm

24 25.00%
  • after 10pm

21 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

When is your 9-12 month old bedtime?

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Barbwong - I certainly don't mean to tell you what is best for your family. Obviously your routine works well for you and your family are the better for it. There is no question that some of us are night owls and others aren't.

I have just tried to make the point that I don't think it is normal or healthy for children or adults to be sleepy soon after they wake up and throughout the day. To me that is a sign that they are chronically sleep deprived and it can't be good for them.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Clear Water Bay
    I find what you have to say very interesting Barbwong and I do agree that we tend to view what we are used to in our culture as "right". I always assumed children went to bed early as this was how I was brought up and thought it cruel to keep them up late into the evening. However, I am becoming more open to the idea of structuring the day as you outline so that we can be together as a family in the evening. My husband was brought up in this way, with a nap in the afternoon so for him early bedtimes are an alien idea. At the moment, we have time to decide how we will structure naps as she is only 2 months old!!

Interseting thread ladies!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i have a feeling that if you asked the same polling question on a chinese website, the responses would be heavily skewed towards late nights for the toddlers/babies.

superMaMa is offline Registered User
    Pat Heung(N.T.)
    I'm with you. I think is the working hour in HK, which is making people go to bed late. Before I had my baby girl, I was a hair -dresser. This is a long hour job, some time I have to work over 12-14 hours a day(6 days work). But if you are hair -dresser in AU, Canada or Uk.... you don't have to work that long hour as in HK. I means it's not just my job is long hour, I talked to my clients, a lot of people finish work late in HK.
    I quit my job after I had my baby. But I'm working at home and my working hour is after my baby go to bed till 3-4 am in the monring everyday. My baby go to bed like 11pm, but she doesn't get up till 10am usually. That is good for me, so I don't have to get up that early. For now, this is my life style. May be I will change the bed time in the future, it's all depends on my family schedules. Or when she goes to school, then she would be going to bed early.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Hong kong
    Sorry, what's all this "difference in culture" thing?! It's just a lifestyle you have chosen for yourself and your babies/children. I am chinese, born in Hong Kong and have always went to bed early when I was a kid, not to mention so did my friends.

People put their babies to bed late now becos they want to spend more time with them after work, which is a perfectly valid reason. I have been lucky that I no longer need to work and can spend time with my baby and put her to bed at 8pm. At the beginning, it seemed my husband was losing out cos he was not being able to see her on weekdays as he got back from work after 8:30. But after a few weeks, he has decided to come home just a little earlier so that he see her for a short while and put her to bed. He is Chinese and born in Hong Kong too.

If I remember correctly, the Chinese saying has always been "jo sui jo hey" (got to sleep early and wake up early). So I find the Aborigines' theory posted a little condescending and uncalled for. No one ever has a definitive perfect way to raise children, it just whatever you decide is best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123