Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

C-section experiences and justification letter...

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I had a great c-section experience in a private hospital in HK- well as great an experience as surgery can be!
    I was terrified beforehand, mainly about the spinal tap not working and being able to feel whatever the Doctor was doing! However my anaethetist was great and reasssured me the whole time. I remember it all being very quick.
    They brought my baby to me as soon as he had been wiped clean and checked by the pedietrician and the midwife helped me start breastfeeding in the operating theatre, well she helped put my baby to my breast.
    They then took the baby upstairs with my husband to be weighed etc. I followed once the Doctor had finished.
    As soon as I got upstairs the nurse helped me again with breastfeeding.
    The next day I had no pain ( I took whatever painkillers I was offerred) and was made to go to the toilet and have a shower, which was very uncomfortable...but by the next day I was up and about, walking to the nursery etc. And by the third day was like normal.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences, it is helping to calm my anxiety a bit. May I ask a couple of questions:

1) Are all the anaesthesia (spinal tap, epidural) and painkillers afterwards okay to take in conjunction with breastfeeding?

2) For those with insurance, what type of documentation did your doctor write-up - I want to make sure that since it is medically necessary, we submit the right information to get coverage.

Thanks so so much again - I really appreciate your help. :)

carang is offline Registered User
    see becky...that was my problem, the epi DIDN'T work...it was awful...

the other thing is...not to be too disgusting... but the first poop after a c-section is terrifying!

also, it hurts to laugh, to push(poop etc), to sneeze, to cough....

i was up and about the next day, but only with EXTREMELY strong painkillers. about a week later, i developed a haematoma...a blod clot just below, about 1 inch, the incision. the clot then got disgusting and again, i won't go into details.

the best advice is...do WHATEVER the doctors tell you. DO NOT over-exert yourself when you start to feel normal. it takes AT LEAST 6 weeks before you can do much more than carry your baby.

there's no problem with BF, but it took my milk about 3-4 days to come in. until that point i felt like i was always bf with nothing but TINY amounts of colostrum. i would literally have him on the breast for over an hour. then 10 minutes later, he'd by crying for more. i supplemented with formula from the beginning and there was never any problem. i really enjoyed BF and never encountered any problems with it after the first day. i had to quit when he was 6 months because of meds that i had to go on. the last month, he was pretty much exclusively bf as i was in canada and found it so much easier than when i was here and trying to work.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Oh my g_d, cara I can't believe it didn't work!!! How terrifying!

Yes first poop is horrendous!

I was given tablet painkillers and for the first 2 days injections to ward off any pain- they really worked! I was breastfeeding and the hospital I was at really encourages breastfeeding so I assumed the painkillers were ok; my doctor also knew I was breatsfeeding. I had no problems with breastfeeding or milk supply etc.

Sorry don't know about documentation as mine was an emergency c-section!

carang is offline Registered User
    yep, pretty horrendous...but like i said, earlier, when you compare it to the joy of finally seeing the little one and knowing that they are safe and healthy, it all pales in comparison...i'm doing it agian 2 years (almost exactly later)...

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    There is a good article about how epidurals affect breastfeeding by Medela called 'Epidurals and Breastfeeding', at http://www.medela.com/NEWFILES/Epidurals_bfdg.html

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Drugs and breastfeeding

All the drugs that you will be given during birth are compatible for breastfeeding.

In fact, almost all drugs are compatible with breastfeeding. If you are ever worried please contact me at [email protected]. I have a copy of the book Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Thomas W. Hale Ph.D. This book is considered the authority of drug use and breastfeeding.

The information is often quite technical but I’m happy to photocopy the relevant pages so that you can share the information with your doctor (who will be able to understand all the medical jargon even if we can’t!)

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12