Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-section experiences and justification letter...

jaetee is offline Registered User

C-section experiences and justification letter...

Does anyone have experience with having a C-section in HK, especially at Adventist or Canossa? If so what did you think of the experience?

Also....for those who had to get a medical report/justification of C-section for insurance purposes, did your doctor just hand write a letter??

Thanks so much in advance for replies and advice. :)

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Had a C at the Adventist and it was fine, but it must depend on your dr and the anaesthetist. Mine was medically necessary, although no insurance so no letter needed. You may get some useful replies on that point, but on the operation itself, it seems people have so many different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by kashismum
    Had a C at the Adventist and it was fine, but it must depend on your dr and the anaesthetist. Mine was medically necessary, although no insurance so no letter needed. You may get some useful replies on that point, but on the operation itself, it seems people have so many different experiences.
    Thanks Kashismum. Could you share your experience there - what was the pre-and post- surgery time? Were the nurses supportive of breastfeeding right away? Mine is medically necessary as well, and I am nervous since I never thought I would be in this situation so dont have much information. :(

Thanks so much.

carang is offline Registered User
    i won't tell you of my horror story of a c-section the first time round, not at a private hospital. it was so bad that i talked to the high risk drs at QMH when i was only 20 weeks along to tell them of my concerns.

it has been decided that i will have another c-section, 2 years + one day after my first one. but the anesthitist MUST use a different anesthesia for me as the epidural was NOT sufficient...

the first time round, i was wheeled into the O.R. at 2:58 pm, they took their time giving me an epidural because my BP was so high, it would have been dangerous to give it to me normally. that was ready at 3:30pm. my son was delivered at 3:54 pm and i was wheeled out of the O.R. at 4:30pm. i was in the recovery room, so they could moniter my BP until almost 7:45 pm. the epi had worn off, but the anesthitist couldn't check on me as he was called into another emergency c-section just as he was on his way to me.

be ware that you might get the "shakes" afterward. it's a way for your body to deal with the shock of everything. when my hubby was finally allowed to see me, i had just started. it's like getting a violent case of the shivers.... you should have seen the terror in his eyes!! i was trying to calm him down through my chattering teeth, telling him it was ok... he had no idea what to do or how to help and instinctually he started rubbing my feet and lower legs very slowly and rythmically... it was the best thing he could have done. but there's no way if he'd asked me what he coudl do would i have known to say, rub my legs....

good luck! you must be quickly approach delivery.... when are you due again?
    Last edited by carang; 12-07-2006 at 10:00 PM.

princess is offline Registered User
    Hi, I had a c-section at the adventist 4 years ago. I chose to have it and mine was not medically necessary. No letters were needed. I just didn't want to go through the labour pains.. Within 10mins my son was out.. everything went on very smoothly except for the shivers i had.. The midwives there are very supportive of breastfeeding, in fact sometimes too persistent!!
    Overall I enjoyed it and decided to have another c-section 2 years ago!!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Mine was plain sailing. Epidural a bit difficult due to severe swelling - not painful but just took a bit longer than expected. I was lying on my side at that point.

Then, once it's taken and they set up a screen so you can't see 'down there', the doc moves in and makes an incision. I was a bit nervous and asked the anaesthetist to give me a running commentary, which he did. It helped as You hear some strange noises at times. He even took photos!

It was all very quick and painless. My hubby was with me the whole time and went up to the ward with the baby while I was being stitched up. Unfortunately, I was left outside the OR for 15 mins or so waiting for an orderly, so I complained and asked to go up immediately to see my baby and start breastfeeding. I've posted my comments on the Adventist's bf support elsewhere - not great in my experience. Seek advice from LLL before you deliver. A C-section should in no way diminish your success in bf; just start as soon as you can.

I was on bed rest for 24 hours and up the next day (a bit sore). The following day I was as good as new and I was at Disneyland with my baby 2 weeks post-birth!

My scar is now barely visible and I look back on the delivery as very easy. Now worrying about labour and a 'normal' birth!

Hope this helps - if you want to PM me for any specifics, feel free.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, it is really helpful to hear other people's experiences on this matter.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    In my experience with caesareans there is a lot more pain after the birth. However the medical staff are now very good at managing this pain and the drugs they give you really seem to work very well.

The first day I felt very weak and extremely tired. Even if you haven’t been in labour first I think the operation is a big shock to your body and thus takes a lot out of you.

The second day I was up and about but I found it difficult to move about. It wasn’t so much that it was painful just difficult. I didn’t realise that I used my stomach muscles so much but almost every movement you need them.

By the third day I was beginning to feel much better and was more comfortable sitting in the arm chair and breastfeeding than in the bed. (I just couldn’t seem to get comfortable sitting up in the bed.) So I only used the bed when I started to feel tired again and then I asked the midwives to help me feed lying down.

I found that it was easy to think that I was getting better but then suddenly I’d be really tired again. It was a bit like having jet lag – where the tiredness just suddenly strikes you and there is little you can do about it.

I found that I was still tired even a couple of weeks after the birth. I don’t think I could have managed a trip to Disneyland at two weeks but I could mange a restaurant meal with my husband (the baby slept through it in the sling). But this meal was at lunchtime because by the evening I was too tired to think about going out. By three weeks I felt much better.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast