Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ghosh or Lord for OB?

Thaimac is offline Registered User

Ghosh or Lord for OB?

I posted this on the Multiples board as well. I just moved to Hong Kong a couple days ago and am pregnant with twins. Both Dr. Ghosh and Dr. Lord were recommended to me. Does anybody have any opinions on either of them?
    Thanks!

Marta is offline Registered User

Of course you hearall sorts of things about both of them and Dr. Lord is certainly not everybody's type, but I switched to her from my prev doctor (who went away on a trip when I was 1 week overdue) really in the very last minute. I only met her wed morning and wed night/thurs morning the baby came....But she was so good, that I would have another baby just to get through through the whole pregnancy with her and to have this good experience during labor/birth. She put me on the bed on all fourth and on a bean bag and that's how I stayed. I had to, because acc to her it was the least stress and pressure for the baby....and pushing was soooo much better than the first time, when I pushed lying in bed for 1.5hrs. She is not the kind of doctor who will hold your hand and pitty or praise you, she is just straight to the point. For the other things you usually have your husband (or a doula, like we had). I guess with any other doctor I would have had an emergency c-section, because the baby was under stress with every contraction. But she simply tried what was possible and managble to avoid a c-section.
    So, go and see her and decide by yourself.
    Good luck
    Marta

Thaimac is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate hearing everything possible!

kerkermui is offline Registered User

From some medical staff worked with Lord, it's definitely not recommended.
    Ghosh is nice to clients.. but not to medical staffs.. but anyway, it's not important for you.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User

Smile

I switched from Lord to Ghosh because I did not think that Lord treated me like a patient, more like a cog in the wheel of her business. I do not expect hand-holding from either one of them (that's what my husband is for), but I did expect to be treated as an individual.

Lord was not intersted in my medical history (multiple miscarriages) and handed back the copious notes that I had brought with me without even glancing at them. Ghosh on the other hand went through them right away and had copies made so that he could have evaluated them properly by my next appointment. I just felt that his experience showed and that he was tailoring a medical regime for me rather than a 'standard issue' treatment programme.

That said, Ghosh's waiting room and appointment system are even worse than Lord's. With LL, I usually had to wait 15-30 minutes after my appointment time (which I could never understand because my appointments with her seldom lasted more than 5 minutes). With Ghosh, it is a nightmare! An appointment is more of a 'guideline'. Inevitably, I get a call from his surgery on the day of the appointment asking me to come earlier or later, and still having to wait for 45 minutes or spo after I get to the waiting room. It's more than a little frustrating when I have 2 other children's schedules to consider.

Hope this helps!

noella is offline Registered User

I also had Ghosh as do/have many of my friends. I cannot compare him to anyone else but for me he was great! I had a great pregnancy and c section with him! I feel he takes all concerns seriously and put my mind at rest a few times. He can be slightly over cautious but I suppose when he has two lives or in your case three it really is better to be safe than sorry! Good luck with your decision.

Kimmi is offline Registered User

I had a semi high risk pregnancy and my OB was Dr Ghosh. I cannot recommend him enough. I always found him a real gentleman and yes hes very busy and often times you do have to wait and have your appointment re-scheduled, but hey babies come all times of the day dont they. I always felt I was in good hands. Dr Ghosh always explained things well to me. I had a c-sec cause I had to and I tell you what, my scar is so neat and tidy and my husband and I were very happy with all the treatment we received with Dr Ghosh.

sunrays is offline Registered User

I have to agree with noella and kimmi Dr Ghosh is excellent. He diagnosed my little girl's kidney problem before she was born and was spot on unlike another Dr who thought her stomach was dilated! He is extremley experienced and is the one who teaches most of the trainees at HKU how to do scans.