Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worried - Intellectual Stimulation for Babies

arkcocoon is offline Registered User

Worried - Intellectual Stimulation for Babies

Met up with some friends over the weekend. All of them, with babies aging less than 8 months old, told me that they're already training their babies with flash cards!!!! Could you share with me what intellectual games you're playing with your babies?

My son is nearly 10 months old and all I do with him is sing and playing with his favourite toy... which happens to be a colourful softball... I'm so worried that I'm not doing enough...

thank you all for sharing, A

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    My son (now 2) has had lots of books available to him since birth, but has only really shown any interest in them over the last 6 months or so. He's watched Baby Einsteins, but mainly to give me some peace and quite - I'm not deluding myself that they will help him intellectually. I think he gets quite enough intellectual input from being out and about in the town, meeting new people, seeing what's going on round him, playing with us and our friends and helper, really I have had no concerns about flash cards and stuff like that. I think he's doing ok, he talks pretty well for a 2-year old, greets people in the right language and with the right names (obviously if he knows the names...), can count, recognise colours (sometimes), no, he can't recognise words on flash cards, or Chinese characters, or more than a few letters, but he's 2. I think that's enough for now. Don't worry what your friends are doing!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Many mothers seem to spend lots of time in these intellectual activities with their babies. I think this is great – so long as the mother enjoys it. I know that I’d have hated it and so I never did such things with my children.

I did read them books – but only books I liked. Occasionally one of my children would ask for a book I hated and I always seemed to manage to get someone else to read it to them instead (and I wasn’t above losing the book permanently).

I was the same with toys. I never bought my babies or children toys that I wasn’t happy to play with (at least until they were old enough to play by themselves with them). My mother once told me that the toys I’d given to my daughter were all the toys I liked best as a baby.

I don’t think it is necessary to do these intellectual activities as life is an intellectual activity in itself, especially Hong Kong where there is always so much happening. “Look there’s a yellow bus and there’s a red taxi.” etc. My sons knew both their colours and their vehicles very early.

Personally I think the best stimulation for babies is to be taken out and about in a sling. They get to see the world from a very safe place and because they are high up you talk to them a lot too.

I recommend doing the things you enjoy with your baby. He will benefit from a happy interested mother much more than from activities you don’t enjoy but do because you think you should.

Best wishes,
    Barb
    Last edited by barbwong_130; 12-12-2006 at 12:28 AM.

capital is offline Banned
    I guess the flashcards are okay if it an activity that you do for enjoyment, but I laugh to think people actually do this because they think it will make their baby smarter! I play with my baby, sing, my baby laughs the most for my toddler.We "read" books, meaning that he chews on them and open and closes them, I know that real interest in the story will come later. He is 9 months old. I do not like TV for babies and I don't think that the videos you can get are at all necessary, as you are learning by watching, rather than expereincing. I quess that sums it up best. I think babies learn best by doing. They can touch and explore and taste. The very best toy your child will ever have is you.

joannek is offline Registered User
    totally agree with the capital, barb & geiboyi. we learn from things that we do happily - games & toys we like. at 8mths, the best thing to do is bring him around town & they get so much stimulation feeling, sensing, hearing & touching plus with you narrating at the background.

in hk, a lot of ppl believe in teaching their children things so that they can be more "advanced" than their peers, which the parent feel is essential to success in life (??). i don't agree with that concept but their are sure a lot of parents who do in this competitive environment. they believe that their children will have these flash cards words & spelling imprinted in their minds when they need it. the "best" kindergarten actually teach their children p.1 or p.2 math so that they get ahead at the primary school interviews!!

i did flashed my then 9 mths old daughter with flash card, but not with words, but with animals photos (i got one of those set of baby einstein flash cards). i thought they were interesting, and she showed interest in animals (of all the baby einstein dvds that i've showed her, she only enjoyed the macdonald farm one & she laughed everytime the animals puppet appeared). i'd go thru the cards whenever i feel like it with her, and i'd stop when she's no longer interested, usually by the 5-8th card. she knows a lot of the animals now. but meanwhile i also made animal sounds with story books & puppets & dolls thru-out her 22 mths of her life. i chose animals cos i thought living in a cosmo city like hk, she doesn't seem to be able to be exposed to a lot of animals. plus whenever i have a chance i bring her to see horses, the farm, and the aquarium. i'm rather not worried that she won't know her numbers, shaped, colors, i think they all learn those things at school in the beginning. and i sure don't think "tetrahydrochlorine" (for e.g.) is sth she needs to learn now. =)

so if there's sth you want her to learn & you like doing it, sure, flash her. if not, don't bother.

joannek is offline Registered User
    may i correct myself, i think it should be "tetrahydrochloride"
    :missingto

carang is offline Registered User
    i see joanne, that your mother obviously didn't give you flashcards if you mixed up chlorine and chloride!...aiya, what are we going to do with you???

LOL! sorry, couldn't resist myself!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I never used flash cards with my children (were they around 20 years ago?).

But I did show my babies photograph albums. I’d point out who was each member of the family. I don’t know if this helped when we went to visit relatives in England. But all my children (from being very young) very quickly had a good relationship with their grandparents. It was as if they knew that these were special people in their lives.

SARAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast